Extended Used Car Warranty?

Yep, even for a car as old as mine (1994), with 100K+ miles. Anyone think they're a good deal but me? One covers everything (and even transfers at sale); others I have come across include just the engine and transmission (5 years, 100K miles, around $600, includes car rental, towing, etc.)...

Reply to
Valjean

Covers everything?! Not likely umless astronomically priced.. Warranties are just a form of insurance where one persons disaster is paid for by a group of people. Only you know your financial circumstances and your ability to deal with an expensive breakdown. Bear in mind warrany sellers, like insurers, sell them for their benefit not yours. Make sure you read the small print, some magazines do surveys showing the best/worst ones I believe.

Reply to
John Hudson

extended warranties, should be banned!! i?ll bet it?s not bumper to bumper cover (like the original saab warranty)! anyway, a quick litmus test for your warranty. ask the vendor.. if the engine seizes because the oil pump fails, what will they pay for, the oil pump, engine or everything? normally if you read the small print, it?ll only cover the initial cause - oil pump. you?re on you?re own buddy for the engine. they sound like a dream come true, hassle free motoring, just like if you bought the car from new. the key word id DREAM. sorry to be a sceptic but the same thing happened to me with another vehicle, i bought the top of the range warranty. when i got to the garage, he showed me string of warranty claims that would be rejected, either by the warranty company or by the vehicle owner because of expense. good luck.

rammy

Reply to
rammy121

I took a 350 EURO 1 year extended warranty on a '99 93 (1 year was included). It more than paid for itself. It 2 years it covered: LPG pump failure, SID unit failure, a broken heater unit that caused controls to break off and a new AC compressor (possibly unneeded). When my GF miss-shifted in a spectacular way and broke an engine support, it paid for that and the possibly resulting AC hose rupture (+refill).

When something went wrong with the ignition I did have to pay for the new spark plugs and cables, however. :(

I'm selling the car since the warranty has now expired, you can guess why... ;)

X.

Reply to
Xenna