First SAAB / ignition key removal

Hello, I have just bought my first SAAB, a UK 2000 (X reg) 9-3 S LPT convertible and am very pleased with it.

I know that to remove the ignition key you have to apply the handbrake and engage reverse gear. However, sometimes, to get the key to turn far enough into the "lock" position to remove it, you have to gently push the gear lever further into reverse. I didn't notice this on the test drive (but then I only removed the key once).

Is this normal?

Also, I have noticed that following hard acceleration in a gear, depressing the clutch to change up to the next gear sometimes causes the revs to increase momentarily. One of the things I really like about this car is the responsiveness of the engine (much more so than the Cavalier now relegated to our drive) but, again, is this normal?

Many thanks, TL.

Reply to
Turbo Lite

Mine doesn't do that. As long as it's in reverse, the key will come out. Incidentally, the handbrake shouldn't make any difference.

That sounds like just a difference in the pedal setup between the Saab and the Cavalier. There's virtually no margin for error in timing between declutching, lifting off the throttle and ramming in the new gear. You're still trained for the Cavalier and it'll take a while before you get used to the Saab's setup. The same thing happened when I moved over from my old Alfa 156 to the 9-3.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

"Turbo Lite" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

This is an issue with the Ford Focus too, much questioned and discussed in their news group. Seems like the throttle has some damping device making the decrease movement a bit slow. If you suddenly release the throttle at full load and disengage the clutch at the same time, the throttle will remain so much open for a short while as to increase the rpm's. I believe this damping is put there for cleaner exhausts. I also believe the throttle release damping often is a bit too much. /per

Reply to
per

Thanks for the advice Colin,

I have to get in touch with the dealer soon so I will mention the key to them (and see what they say).

Meanwhile I'll keep practicing the gear changes!

Thanks, T.L.

Reply to
Turbo Lite

Thanks for the information. As I am new to SAABs I am just glad that its not just the one I bought. I am sure that I will be able to adjust my driving style accordingly. Actually, I tend to drive the SAAB much more sedately than the Cavalier so it isn't too much of a problem.

T.L.

Reply to
Turbo Lite