Fixing bent wheels - possible?

Salutations:

Anyone have any experience with wheel straightening ?

I have picked up a set of alloys for my NG900 and they are in need of a little work. Didn't pay a lot for them - but not sure what to expect from truing them up or what I should pay for it. Should I expect to sign a waiver on them in case they blow the job?

Experiences appreciated.

Reply to
Dexter J

Certainly do-able by the right folks. There are shops which specialize in that specifically, a google should come up with something unless someone here has first-hand experience. I'm interested as well as I have a couple which I'd like to get fixed so I can sell them.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I used to know a guy who did this. It really all depends how far out they are. If only a little, then it should be fairly easy. If out by much then no chance.

It also depends a lot on whether it's just the edges or whether the whole wheel is out of true. If the latter, then I don't believe you can get very far with alloys.

Reply to
Grunff

Where are you located ? I know of a couple shops but they might not be local for you. Typical costs are $100/wheel to straighten & repaint.

Reply to
Bob

Good information as always brother Grunff - thank you kindly. I guess the best way to go is to get an estimate with your concerns noted. It's looking loosely like about $60(cnd) a wheel for alloys around here depending on how out they are.

Cheers.

Reply to
Dexter J

Halifax Nova Scotia - looks like around $60(cnd) plus dismounting and remounting the tires is my most reliable number. However, it may be that they run a little more depending on how badly bent any individual wheel turns out to be.

Crap this NG900 is turning out to be more expensive than I hoped..

Reply to
Dexter J

You can always run steel rims with plastic covers that look like alloy, if cost is a major factor. I run snow tires on steel rims - because of the abuse the rims receive in the winter and the cost.

Reply to
ma_twain

I'm afraid I'm running bent steels now, thank you Nova Scotia Roads Dept.. :/ ..

The alloys were meant to replace the OEM 1994 rims. They are very appealing 5 bolt three spoke with center caps (like super aeros) and dress up the NG900 nicely, but they were unfortunately bent before I had them shipped here. I think a lot worse than the PO knew.

Anyway - in for a penny, in for a pound as they say brother Twain.

Hey - any idea what the paint code for alloy wheels is?

Reply to
Dexter J

Hmm. Steel rims with plastic covers looks like - steel rims with plastic covers.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

The ones that really make me laugh are the three spoke wheel covers on steel Nova wheels. Very high entertainment value.

Reply to
Grunff

The Vauxhall No-va! is probably the most modded car at the moment. You find plenty outside my local Halfords on saturdays; shopping for new stripes and exhaust bores.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

in article 40783BE1.46649C4C@sizefitter_0_0_0_0_.com, Johannes H Andersen at johs@sizefitter_0_0_0_0_.com wrote on 10/04/2004 19:24:

But steel wheels with brushed steel covers are "Saaby" and therefore okay? JK - I seem to remember the tyres being one heck of a lot cheaper than for alloy wheels :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

If money is an issue and I could either get real alloy wheels or repair the brakes -

guess where I am spending the money . . .

I am a driver, not a "poser".

Reply to
ma_twain

Well said. Steel rims are actually more robust. With alloys, you have to take more care where you're driving, e.g. alloys on a 4x4 is idiotic for a true off roader. With respect to posing, 99% of drivers do it anyway. The issue was really about look alike plastic covers.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Salutations:

Well, at the end of the day I ended up $660.00 (cnd) total (including purchase) on my three spoke NG/GM 5 bolt wheels. Much less than dealer replacement but more than I feel they were probably worth - rats - sometimes the SAAB gets you.

However - for the greater benefit of brother and sister SAAB flagellants to come - please be advised that the considered opinion at the end of the job was that three spoke NG/GM alloy wheels are inherently 'soft' alloy.

Thusly while your shop may feel strongly that they will break them in the straightening machine and may ask you to sign a waiver - they will most likely come back into shape and run much like clay through the machine without much heat in the hand of a skilled pro. Takes time and several passes though.

It was strongly advised that low profile tires be avoided in most normal conditions and that I should possibly consider a taller sidewall than factory spec if I can find a stiff enough sidewall offering.

There was a very bad flatspot on one of the outer rims when they arrived and a sub-contracting welding shop I ended up at probably used too much heat in the mistaken belief that they would crack otherwise - burning some wheel coating that didn't need to be lost.

When they got back to the straighteners (Scotia Tire - Halifax, Nova Scotia) to finish the inner rim - Scotia Tire passed the outer rim edges for a second flatspot and they were much more pliable then everyone had first thought. I could have saved myself the extra $75 (cnd) at the sub-contractor in the first place had we risked running outer rim lip in the machine in the first place.

That said, once all the wheels were straightened the ride and handling have improved - considerably - and greatly lessened road noise all round.

I also tossed in for an alignment at the end of job. We ended up setting the toe a little out on both sides (less on the drivers), which has stiffened the NG900 steering much more to my liking. Not as a snappy - but handles a little easier in everyday driving I feel.

Assuming all the normal disclaimers - please consider the above if you end up having to straighten your GM issue SAAB 5 bolt alloy rims.

Reply to
Dexter J