Fried Starter on 1989 Saab 900?

Hi all,

I think I already know the answer to this but I want to confirm. I live in the northeastern US and during that really bad cold snap we had earlier this winter the ignition was frozen such that it wouldn't turn. After blasting it with a hair dryer for about a half hour, the key turned but slowly and the car started. After starting, I heard this continuous scraping sound which would go away after about 10-15 minutes. This happened on a number of subsequent days doing the hair dryer trick and hearing that sound. The car became harder and harder to start. Finally, it no longer starts and I just hear that scraping sound when I turn the key in the ignition. Could it be that my ignition didn't go all the way back from the start position to the on position such that my starter was continually cranking and eventually gave out? Also at this time my cig lighter and the rear window defogger stopped working although the fuse is just fine.

P.S. Where the heck is the starter on this thing? Can't seem to find it so I can take it off to be replaced if need be. Really need to get the repair manual.

Reply to
Wemic

Noticed the same problem on my 92 conv this year key was hard to turn but ok after warming up. The scraping problem sounds like the starter is going bad. starter is easy to take out and replace located under gas linkage on drivers side of car. two bolts and some wires and its out maybe 35 minutes tops. Rebuit bosh starter on line or autozone is about

144.00 good luck papa
Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I had my wife pick up a used one (Bosch SR32x) from the salvage yard while I was out of town. Installed today but no dice. Not a sound from the starter. Are the electrical connections the same as on the O.E.? Can't seem to find a trouble guide on the net anywhere. Of course, it's probably likely that I got a bum starter. What do you think?

Thanks.

Reply to
wemic

You can test the starter on the bench hooking it up to the battery.

Reply to
yaofeng

Which connections will I need? Jumper cables directly to the posts on the starter?

Reply to
wemic

The thick cable is positive. The starter sucks up a lot of current.

Reply to
yaofeng

Got it....thanks. It's working. I think my connection is screwy. I noticed a second flat terminal which is probably the one that goes to the ignition switch rather than the other. The O.E. starter had only one flat terminal from what I remember. I'll mess with it tomorrow.

Reply to
wemic

Do you have voltage at the starter? Check both the big wire as well as the small one that comes from the ignition. If the car is an automatic the problem may be the start interlock switch in the shifter, I'm not sure how Saab does it.

Reply to
James Sweet

I ran into that same thing on a Volvo, some starters have one, some have two, only one of the connections works.

Reply to
James Sweet

I no longer own a c900. But if I remember from the experience removing the starter on my 89 900S, it has two wires. BTW, the only one time I fried the starter was because I drove the car with the starter biting the flywheel, turning with it for five miles taking my son to school one spring morning. Neglect in cleaning the ignition on the floor on a C900 can do that to you.

Reply to
yaofeng

That did the trick. It started right up. Thanks all for the help. :-)

Reply to
wemic