From Businessweek: "Pontiac, Buick, and Saab would follow Oldsmobile to the scrap heap."

From Businessweek

Quote from end of document. Read last sentence here. Scary. I hope that there is a good buyer of Saab. Maybe the EU could reverse their decision back in the late

1980's to allow SCANIA to buy Saab?

This new GM might make two-thirds as many models: Chevrolet, perhaps its most recognized global brand, handling trucks and mass-market cars; Saturn, behind its cool new Euro styling, selling more expensive cars with design flair. A resurgent Cadillac would parade advanced technology and luxury. Hummer would only last as long as brawny SUVs are hip. GMC, which is very profitable these days, would stick around if Chevy couldn't satisfy America's yen for trucks. Pontiac, Buick, and Saab would follow Oldsmobile to the scrap heap.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

that there is a good buyer of Saab. Maybe the EU could reverse their decision back in the late 1980's to allow SCANIA to buy Saab?

I don't remember the EU being involved, or even that Scania wanted to buy SAAB, only that SAAB-Scania split around 1990. I'm interested in learning more though, if you could point me to some sources; I would like that outcome because Scania knows engines and turbocharging very well.

Is it unrealistic to wish that someone like BMW would buy SAAB, and then let SAAB be their FWD and turbo development division, with some crossover in AWD vehicles?

Reply to
saabyurk

Did you see what could have possibly been Jan Willem-Vester replying to Saabnet? Did you see his post up a few lines that I pasted from saabnet to here for us?

I too want to know more about the Saab Scania split. I would like to see SCANIA take Saab once again.

What else do you know about the split?

Saab Guy

Reply to
Saab Guy

I have also heard that SCANIA became an independant company in 1995.

The history of SCANIA on scania.com doesn't indicate anything about Saab the automobile. I'll have to do more digging I guess.

Saab Guy

Saabnet? Did you see his post up a few lines that I pasted from saabnet to here for us?

SCANIA take Saab once again.

Reply to
Saab Guy

More information on Saab-Scania:

The use of the Saab-Scania symbol was modified twice - in 1990 and in 1992. Saab Automobile AB was established as an independent company on 1 January 1990 as a result of a cooperation agreement between Saab-Scania AB and General Motors (Europe) AG.

Starting in 1995, when the Saab-Scania Group was disintegrated and a 50 percent holding in Saab Automobile was taken by Investor AB, Scania began using a new version of the earlier Group symbol.

I just want more information as to WHY.

I do recall Sweden entering the EU in 1994, so perhaps a year later that had something to do with it from what I barely recall. I do want those specifics.

If that "why" for the split could be somehow "reversed", then Saab would have a good opportunity with SCANIA once again which would sit well on basically everyone period!! :)

Saab Guy

automobile. I'll have to do more digging I guess.

Saabnet? Did you see his post up a few lines that I pasted from saabnet to here for us?

SCANIA take Saab once again.

Reply to
Saab Guy

50 percent holding in Saab Automobile was taken by Investor AB, Scania began using a new version of the earlier Group symbol.

I'll get my SAAB books out tonight and see if they are more enlightening on this subject. I wish now that the planned Volvo-SAAB merger hadn't fallen through way back (1970's?). Maybe the two could have survived as one. Funny thing, as I recall, Volvo didn't want to build FWD cars, and SAAB didn't want to build RWD cars. Now look!

I found a BBC article from 1990 that Volvo truck company was all set to buy Scania, lock, stock and barrel, but the EU nixed that, and even forced Volvo to sell some of their B shares in Scania later on.

would have a good opportunity with SCANIA once again which would sit well on basically everyone period!! :)

Yup.

Reply to
saabyurk