Front Suspension lower control arm

So,

In a pretty dramatic way one of the sides of the front suspension lower control arms cracked and failed. It is very cut and dry for replacing this part, but the next question is what else could've been damaged in the process. I was going under 5 mph and was under the impression that I had a flat tire, which seemed odd for the snapping sound that was mad when it occurred.

So is there anything else I should be aware of before making the trek out to the local bone yard for a replacement part or multiple parts?

Regards,

lbh

Reply to
lbh

You forgot to mention what car this happened to.

We must assume it was a SAAB of some sort?

Classic 900's are notorious for this. It often happens while backing up.

It happened to me about a year or so ago on my 86 900T with around 240+k miles. Just the arm was all that was needed. I did not fix this myself, but I had them check the other side. they said that the arm that broke had about 1/8" holding it when it went.

Charles.

lbh wrote:

Reply to
Charles

Yep. It is a '89 900s, with around 189k. And it happened while backing up, just as your experience was. Any ideas on the repairs beyond just that broken suspension arm?

thanks,

lbh

Reply to
lbh

There was a global recall programme in Aus a lot of years ago for C900 lc arms. They were retrofitted with a modified arm. IME a low speed break shouldn't cause any additional damage; the one that broke in the driveway on one of ours didn't anyway. Of course, if you were silly enough to keep driving on it ... rather hard I would imagine! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Do you have any details on this? I'm fairly sure both of my running C900's were recalled for something since there a couple of Saab mod labels which don't really identify what they're for stuck above the front wheel spaces.

Would be curious to know what that's all about. I haven't noticed any fracturing in the lower a-arm's of my 1983 900s or 1985 900i but it's something I always check when I have the cars lifted at the front.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site