Frost plugs

I have a 1987 9000T with a leaking frost-plug. None of my literature even mentions them, but I suppose the US might have a funny word for them;-) Does anyone know how to stop the leak or replace the plug please?

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

We call them the same thing, or freeze plugs, they rarely leak but it can happen. An automotive machine shop should be able to help you locate a new one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Replacing them is usually done by hammering a tool like a chisel gently into them and carefully prying them out. Don't drill since them since you don't want the filings going into the water passage. Clean the area, look for defects, seal the new plug and tap it in with a wood block and hammer. The trick is always getting access to the area.

I'd make a wild guess that plugs have not changed that much in Saab motors and you can still get a replacement at the dealer. Also, most auto parts stores carry a selection of them in stock.

Reply to
Bob