Fuel filter backwards?

I have a 2001 9-3 and I just replaced the fuel filter on it. The new one did not have an arrow indicating the direction it should be mounted and in fact according to the general shape (rounded end versus crimped/rolled) it's on backwards - but the bolts, which are different sizes, only fit one way. The filter itself is something I've had in my garage for a while now and just got around to putting on and I'm not even sure where I got it from. So what do you guys think? Should I trust the shape, the bolts (I'm not even sure the bolts can be switched around, to be honest) or just buy a new filter with a friggin' arrow on it? I took it on a test drive and she seems fine - at least for the moment...

Reply to
rob

I wouldn't normally fit a part not engineered for the car in question but as long as it works, I don't see how it can do any harm.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks for the reply, Graham. It is actually meant for my car, it's just without an arrow and a 180 degree turn in general appearance. I drove about 200 miles today and everything's good so far - I was just concerned about the potential long-term effects of having the thing in backwards were that in fact the case.

Rob

Reply to
rpaz

rpaz gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There won't be any. The only "effect" of having the filter on backwards is that fuel won't flow as easily, and it'll probably clog quicker. It'll still filter the fuel.

As you say, the threads are different either end, so it's not possible to install it reversed. It's just a different manufacturer making the case a different way.

Reply to
Adrian