Fuel smell in cabin '88 Saab 900

I have replaced the fuel sending unit and the seal mounted in the top of the fuel tank. Still get strong gas smell from rear trunk area. Have had had Saab shop use hydrocarbon sniffer and can not locate the problem. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Madrona

If the fuel sender is in the area under ther trunk (boot) floor, you would have to fold the rear seat down and remove the floor panel to get at the sender.

After you removed the sender, did any of the gas spill onto the carpeted back of the rear seat, the rear compartment felt or run down into the carpeting? That would account for the smell. You can remove the carpeting or felt and wash them in a large commercial washer (Like at a laundromat), the seat you will need to scrub.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

all fabric covering back of rear seat, floor, and sids of boot to get rid of residule vapors. Thank you.

Reply to
Madrona

The best SAAB site ever:-) About the gassmell,wonder if he might have to remove the rearseat as well I mean if some fuel have found its way to the floorboard? Regards Nightmare "Jeremy Brown" skrev i meddelandet news:wa_Mg.99428$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Nightmare
2 yrs ago I had my Fuel Pump replaced By a saab Dealer. After driving the car home I could see fuel leaking in and around my trunk area. To make a long story short I went back to the dealer and they had to fix the gasket they had put in wrong to stop the leak. That was 2 yrs ago and I can still smell some gas ordor from the trunk area. So it is possible that some gas did leak during your repair Good luck papa
Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Check the fuel filler neck to make sure it doesn't have any cracks in the plastic down near the area where the hose to the tank attaches. Also check all the hoses to/from the tank since they can sometimes degrade, and/or clamps can come loose.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Reply to