Fuel Tank Baffles Cause Stall?

Hi. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this problem. I own a 2005 9-5 (50,500 miles). On a recent trip, the engine started surging, losing power, the engine light came on, then the engine quit. After resting the car a few minutes, it started up and we went another 30 miles before the situation repeated. After another rest, we made it home.

The Saab dealer kept the car a few days, trying to replicate the problem, which they finally were able to do yesterday. They diagnosed it as loose baffles in the fuel tank, and will replace the tank ($1000.)

I trust the shop guys, but I have never heard of a tank causing this kind of problem. Has anyone? Are there other more plausible causes?

I really appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Reply to
rickd2

Ya rick sounds like a fuel pump problem to me. never heard of loose baffles, get a second opinion. Good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

If the check engine light stays on, it might be the throttle body mounted on the engine if the car is continually driving like a bag of spanners. It's fairly easy for a mechanic to reset the throttle body, but it's expensive to get replaced, even if you get a second hand one. Try the cheaper options first, e.g. fuel pump / filter, injector cleaners in the fuel, etc. Never heard of the baffles problem. How much do you trust the mechanics?

hth kds :-)

Reply to
kingdoodlesquat

The fuel pump must be properly oriented or you will have problems. On mine it must have the input port facing the 135 degree azimuth direction with the front of the car being zero of course. Also could be a bad fuel pump.

Reply to
darthpup

Sounds very much like the failed fuel tank pump failure I had many years ago. Everything works fine until you need fuel in larger quntities (going up a steep hill, for instance) or it gets especially hot. Hard to diagnose because all the usual test appear normal.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Thanks...I asked the tech about the fuel pump...he was confident it was okay, and the problem was the loose baffles in the fuel tank blocking fuel flow...the techs have been pretty good in the past. In any case, I picked up the car today after the new fuel tank was installed. No stalls, although it seems to run a little rough, and idles around 800 rpm, which seems high. We'll see. I did contact Saab, made my case, and they are reviewing, with a decision expected any time.

Thanks again.

Reply to
rickd2

let us know if saab does anything for you. I would be upset if I had a car less then 2 years old and had to spend 1g on loose baffles. I wonder what purpose these baffles serve? that gets me thinking about removing baffles from my saab.

good luck.

Reply to
Rod H

Well, in our water tankers for the fire department, they eliminate the "slosh". Not bad when the tank is full, or empty (obviously) but let me tell you, a fire tanker with a half-full tank, with 1800 gallons of water sloshing back and forth, will get your attention. That's a LOT of weight. I'd imagine the baffles in the Saab are more for keeping the fuel near the pump than handling; 15 gallons is noticable but not THAT much slosh.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No 3 year manufacturer's warranty in the US?

C.

Reply to
Charles C.

Yes, there is. 3 Yr 50k miles. This should definitely have been covered by warranty

Reply to
Fred W

In which case, good will alone should have covered the 500 miles ... let alone the dealer should think the customer (at this rate of mileage) will soon be buying another car.

Too late I guess, since the OP has now paid them :-(

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

I thought it was 4 years? Have they cut back?

No, Saab will correct it if the dealer has charged for warranty repairs. It's also a violation of Federal Law, so I'm sure the dealer will be happy to participate.

FWIW - I've never heard of this problem before in any Saab. Seems suspect.

Reply to
- Bob -

An extra reason for the OP to pursue under warranty as it may have a follow on and more cost until it is resolved.

Reply to
Charles C.

Two different dealers and some good independent repair places kept saying it wasn't the fuel pump in my case, also.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene