Gas Consumption

Something weird with my '06 9-3 Aero sport combi. Driving at 100 Km/h gives around 12 l/100 Driving at 120 Km/h gives 11 l/100 and 130-140 average gives

10 l/100. Those numbers comes from 2 runs : one of around 1800 Km in 2 days and the 600 Km today.

The fastest you go, the less gas you take. Crazy. At 140 Km Rpm is around

2300. That might explain things a bit.

Any other explanation ? like my computer is crazy ?

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

There may be too many variables such as the weather, the quality of the fuel or the tyre pressures. It's also possible that at 100 km/h you're labouring the engine in top gear and you may get better mileage figures in the next gear down.

Reply to
DervMan

That is calculated milage from fillups or is it from the SID?

In any case, Saab likes to drive around 130-150 not 100, this is a performance car not a VW Beetle ;>

I notice on the old 900 it does like 100 km/h for economy, but I go

130-150 anyway. The V6 with the tall gearing like you have probably is working more efficiently at such speed.
Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

But efficiency is not the same as fuel consumption. The vast majority of petrol engines are very inefficient at part throttle conditions, where part load here could be at 100 km/h or at 130 km/h. The less the throttle the less the efficiency, but they're still more economical at 100 km/h compared to 130 km/h.

Reply to
DervMan

For those who wish to convert between the European l/100km and the US MPG, you can simply multiply by .00425, then take the inversion. Since it's an inversion, the same operation works in both directions. So the 12, 11 and 10 l/100 mentioned above, become 19.6, 21.4 and 23.5 MPG respectively.

As a simple mental calculation, remember that the two scales are approximately equal at 15. 15l/100=15MPG. Away from this number, they go in opposite directions, so 7.5l/100= about 30MPG (31.4 really) and 7.5MPG also equals

31.4l/100.

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

I have found the same with my '00 9-5 V6t Wagon - I get better fuel economy at

70-75 than I do at 50-55. I suspect that good aerodynamics, and tall gearing are the reason. The throttle is open wider, the turbo is able to recover more energy from the exhaust etc.. Every car has a particular "sweet spot" where you get maximum economy vs. speed, modern Saabs seem to have it a little higher than most.

Kevin Rhodes '00 9-5 SE v6t Wagon (20-29mpg) '92 C900CVT (25-33mpg)

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

The excellent Saab turbo coupled with this new 6 gears transmission certainly gives the excellent aerodynamics a role in it.

"Kevin Rhodes" a écrit dans le message de news: JAr_g.9048$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

My own experience does not replicate these assertions. Of the five Saabs I've owned, none has averaged 30MPG overall. Using the on-board computer of my current 900TurboSE 2.0L (have no test information to confirm its accuracy) the economy is very good (36MPG+) in high gear at 55MPH. Above this it goes lower (28MPG at 75MPH).

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

Or if you're lazy, you can do like do: go into Google and enter 10 l per 100 km in mpg ...and out spits "23.5214584 miles per gallon."

Google is a wonderful thing. :-)

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Can you do that while driving? I cannot, but I have programmed it into my HP calculator, which is virtually always with me, and doesn't require an on-line connection. And even without that, using the "15" rule, I can do it roughly in my head.

I agree, Internet is a fantastic resource. Knowledge is even better!

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

Based on my experience on my 9000T, please be aware that dirty (blocked orifice) fuel injectors will "trick" the on board computer to think you are getting worse fuel economy than you actually are getting. This is in addition to poorer fuel economy that dirty fuel injectors actually provide. This is because the computer calculates fuel economy from the duration the fuel injectors are open and assumes that fuel is flowing at the fuel injector's specified rate. Fuel usage is not calculated from any device that actually measures fuel flow.

When my car had 120K miles on it, I cleaned the fuel injectors. This likely had never been done by the previous owner, nor had I done this before. From then on, the on board computer indicated a 12% increase in fuel economy from what it previously indicated. Fuel economy went from 25 mpg to 28 mpg. Maybe I would get 30 mpg if I used Imperial gallons. ;-)

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Greg, I should mention that for the 2006 9-3 Aero sport combi, not only you get a 6th gear transmission but they also kicked off the real time consumption on the computer. So the average consumption is based on a certain amount of Km but can't say for sure how many. I ran also with premium gas and the car has around 19,000Km. Usually, I drive mostly in traffic and the consumption is around 12,5 L/Km.

When driving at 100 Km, the RPM is at 2,000 on the 6th gear.

"Greg Farris" a écrit dans le message de news: ehdrrp$1ebu$ snipped-for-privacy@biggoron.nerim.net...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Greg, I should mention that for the 2006 9-3 Aero sport combi, not only you get a 6th gear transmission but they also kicked off the real time consumption on the computer. So the average consumption is based on a certain amount of Km but can't say for sure how many. I ran also with premium gas and the car has around 19,000Km. Usually, I drive mostly in traffic and the consumption is around 12,5 L/Km.

When driving at 100 Km, the RPM is at 2,000 on the 6th gear.

"Greg Farris" a écrit dans le message de news: ehdrrp$1ebu$ snipped-for-privacy@biggoron.nerim.net...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer
12.5L/Km. Are you out of your mind. What are you smoking?
Reply to
darthpup

Except for leaving out the "100" in 12.5L/100km, why is this an unreasonable number when driving only in traffic?

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Why, never drove a V6 2.8 Turbo in traffic before ?

btw it's 12.5 L/100 Km

"darthpup" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

Why, never drove a V6 2.8 Turbo in traffic before ?

btw it's 12.5 L/100 Km

"darthpup" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

How do you clean the fuel injectors? I dump some cleaner in the tank now and then. Is that what you mean?

Reply to
solarsell