Gas Tank Strap Failure - 1996 SAAB 9000 CS

Good Morning,

Has anyone experienced the complete rustout/failure of the gas tank strap on the passenger side of the car ? Is this a common problem on North American SAAB 9000's ?

Thank-you Any assistance would be appreciated

Reply to
SilverSurfer

Both my MY92 AND MY97 9K have had the passenger side gas tank straps exchanged. This is claimed to be a standard failure according to my Saab mechanic. For some reason it is this strap and not the driver side strap that is rusting.

Reply to
th

Hi,

What did it cost you?

I can now see why the dealer wanted to replace both straps 14 or so months ago (at 400 USD on current exchange rates).

Thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

I just bought the straps and replaced them myself, a fairly simple job. The cost of one strap was around 60 - 80 USD IIRC.

Reply to
th

Do you have to drop the tank to do this job?

Reply to
still me

No you can do it with the tank in the car. I had one strap broken and the other was OK. First changed the broken one and then the other just for safety. It is a simle job. (Saab 9000 CSE 1996)

/B

Reply to
Blacksmith

Where is the best place to order the strap ? I am in Ontario, Canada. I will try and replace it myself.

kr thesaabsite.com has them for $51.00 + shipping etc.

Reply to
SilverSurfer