GM-are they mad

Just read that Gm are gonna make the new 9-5 in US and change to rear wheel drive are they mad?????????

Pelle

Reply to
Perra

Where did you read that? There is an opinion that cars in this class, like merc and bmw, should be RWD, hence the confusion over the Jaguar X-type. To satisfy critics they made it 4WD, but jounos testing the later cut down FDW version found it found nicer and more sensible.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In Evo Mag last month, there was a new Opel/GM RWD concept car. the RWD platform of which would form the basic for all GM medium to large Saloon/Sedans.

Although that Aricle said that the paltform would be built in Troll, and sent out to GM for assembly of the cars.

I did post about it here.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

MeatballTurbo wrote: :: In Evo Mag last month, there was a new Opel/GM RWD concept car. the :: RWD platform of which would form the basic for all GM medium to large :: Saloon/Sedans.

Although it's a RWD-platform, doesn't mean that you cannot put a FWD-system on it. You'll just leave the "tunnel" present.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I think the plan was to Go RWD for the entire range. I wonder if that is because Volvo has gone FWD and AWD now?

I suppose a RWD based platform would make it to make an AWD car, say like a rally car, somehting that could rival the Impreza. Something that could compete at world level, so WRC. Something that could resurect say the Carlsson name? now that sounds like a plan. A non Subaru based AWD Saab Turbo Saloon/Hatch, in the WRC. That would be popular.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

My guess is that Saab is eager to go upmarket since many lesser brands will have comfort and performance to match in their new models. AWD is a good idea for handling even more power if required, VW goes the same route with their more powerful versions. There seem to be some money around at the moment, I was surprised to see a number of new Porches + offroader Porches and Ferraris while going to my super. My 9000 CSE is just a sensible and efficient car, but no longer something special.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Henrik B. (saab@tdcadsl_nospam_.dk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Rover 75, anybody?

FWD but on the old 5-series platform, apparently. And, of course, with a forthcoming RWD MG version....

Reply to
Adrian

In article , snipped-for-privacy@achapman.freeisp.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Thats the big chunky V8 isn't it?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

MeatballTurbo ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yup. 260BHP 4.6 Ford Mustang v8.

Why couldn't they have just talked to TVR nicely.....?

Reply to
Adrian