GM Cuts

With German labor laws and board representation, will this favor Trahatten getting the ax? GM could learn a thing or two from SAAB but it seems intent on killing SAAB.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Huh?

Reply to
Per Laursen

I meant Trollhatten, Sweden.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

You mean Trollhättan.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

We'll get there ... I see Trollh?ttan.

Yup I know wrong character set :-(

Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

Great to know this is alt.languages.swedish.spelling. Now does anyone think GM is setting up the Swedish plant for the shaft even recent news is about German cuts?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I read an article a few months ago that said all Saab engineers, designers and similar workers were being cut. This amounted to about

1300 people. The real sad news is that this is really the death of Saab. It was controversial, but I actually liked the 900 that came out in 1994, though I haven't owned one. I like the GM-based Saabs. But now, Saabs will not have any design input from the people who made Saab what it is.

You might be able to find the article I'm speaking of with a web search.

Tom Noo Joizy

Reply to
Tom Reingold

The news in Sweden talk about 500 people from different categories being cut. Your source seems somewhat unreliable and there will still be Saab engineers around (although they need to work more and more with common GM technology).

Reply to
th

I read that article as well. I am wondering of the likely-hood the Swedish assembly plant will be closed.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

A recent wsj article quoted GM "head honcho" Lutz that the current 9-3 is an example of platform sharing gone bad. I recall the radio and main "wiring" being examples of SAAB going its own way. While I wish XM would have been available in 2004 model, I certainly wouldn't want the Malibu radio. The SAAB 9-3 2004 ergonomics have grown on me (my first SAAB; sadly probably my last).

Does anyone know if GM uses Activity Based Costing to make investment decisions? If not, I wonder how GM is doing the costing for SAAB to determine its profitability.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" skrev i en meddelelse news:wFDhd.21209$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...

The article isn't correct. Saab will lay of 540 people just after new years. It'll almost all be "office-people" - not production.

Also, wjen Opel in Germany is going to fyre 10,000 workers, Opel's production-capacity will so much reduced, that they have got get some of the models produced elsewhere.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.