GM to cut virtually all Saab's ties to Sweden

...after 2008.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

So why do they call it Saab = Svenska Aeroplan Aktie Bolaget ? ^^^^^^^

Reply to
Johannes

Good question.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

You expect American Corporations to understand ( or care about ) foreign languages ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Have you noticed that every post of yours lately has overt anti-American content, and little else?

I have.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've tried to reduce it but sadly you have to accept that many Americans ( including your President and Secretary of State for the most part for example ) are entirely oblivious or indifferent to overseas affairs . If they do take an interest, it seems sadly that they are offered a skewed view ( courtesy of Fox etc ).

I *know* there are decent Americans out there - it's just that the other sort hog the limelight.

Out of curiosity - does the US school curriculum include compulsory study of a foreign language ?

Regds, Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That would vary from state to state. Where I grew up, 3 years of foreign language were required (they offered French, Spanish, or Latin IIRC). The university I went to did not require foreign language study for admission when I attended, but I believe it does now.

John

Reply to
John B

I realize the Europeans have *such* a balanced view of the US and everything else, but exactly what are these supposed "skewed" views? Should we should just bow to the Europeans who offer far superior views? Should we just show the BBC and be done with it? Newsflash....EVERYONE has skewed views. There are as many (or more) differing views in the US as there are in Europe. I haven't seen the Europeans agreeing on much lately (except that everything is America's fault).

For the most part, yes, though it hasn't always been that way..

Reply to
WitchDr

Thanks for your non-political reply.

The Uk requires study of a foreign language ( just one I think but more are usually offered ) at age 11-12 or therabouts.

I was lucky to have a part private education - starting learning French ( for a total of 8 yrs ) at age 8. I forget when I started Latin ( silly language but it was a popular requirement for Oxford and Cambridge University entry ) but it was around the same time. I spent 2 yrs learning German too from 14-16.

No relation to my school experience but when I speak French I'm popularly assumed to come from Provence. I have the accent that I picked up from some French friends of that region who were here in the Uk.

As for German - they think I'm Swiss. Might have something to do with a Swiss g/f.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The ones like most US ppl still thinking that Saddam actually *was* supporting Al Qaeda because they were fed that lie, despite every piece of evidence to the contrary.

Ever tried watching the BBC ? It's *renowned* worldwide for its impartial coverage of events. You don't get a reputation like that without a history of excellence in reporting.

It's fashionable for ppl to focus on Europe's disagreements. In reality it's not such a big deal. It's also a challenge to try and forge a new superpower from many disparate countries. It's happening though. Astonishing that the Ukraine has now formally requested to join the EU. Who would have ever though that the EU would include former parts of the USSR ? Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are already in now of course.

I'm just wondering when Russia itself will have to request admission.

Timescale ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

LOL You know a lot about America don't you.

Reply to
Mr. Manfredjensen

Dang,

That's almost enough to make me start looking at a T5 or T6 Volvo (though Ford is doing about the same rape/pillage job on Volvo as GM is doing to Saab).

Michael O:-)

Reply to
Michael Halliwell

How would you expect me to *know* that without asking ?

Cheap silly frivolous comment.

I bet I could name more of the major members of your government than any American could regarding Britain.

You just want us as your poodle ( Blair fell for it and was accordingly punished in our recent election - oh we had an election btw - did you know that ? Do your networks even pay lip service to 'foreign affairs ? ) and we're fed up with it !

Don't expect the UK to be your poodle in any more military adventurism !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

For illustration, asking about the US school curriculum is much like asking about the EU school curriculum. How would that be answered? Establishment of school curriculum is done at the local/state level. The US government occasionally insinuates themselves in the activities of locally run schools, but they can only do that by threatening to withhold payment of the funding programs they sponsor. The only areas were the US government can establish school curriculum are places like Washington DC, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, and on all US Military Bases (in and outside the US) - all are part of the US, but do not enjoy statehood.

The EU is much like the US, only 200+ years younger. Just think, if the EU evolves like the US has, in about 100 years the EU will start collecting income taxes from its citizens in addition to the taxes the member countries already collect. 8-(

BTW, I took 2 years of German in school. IIRC from many years ago, Spanish and Latin were also offered languages.

Walt Kienzle

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Hey Graham, post about Saabs or go away. The politics are getting annoying.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

When I watched the BBC Iraq war coverage I was wondering "Where is all the objectivity people boast about?" Saw a good deal of British Patriotism coming through in reports of how amazing the British soldiers are doing. Then I watched the news from France, which airs nightly at 7PM (subtitled) on Channel 25 here in New York and their take was very different. Not objective so much as coming from the other side. A cliché really what with French/American relations at a low point. Everyone wants to believe they have a hold on the truth and everyone else is brainwashed by propaganda.

Reply to
Mr. Manfredjensen

I would expect you to know something about America if you're going to trash it as you do. Especially when it comes to knowledge of "foreign" places. Yes, I was required to take 3 years of at least one language in high school. Spanish, French, German, & Latin were the ones I remember offered. Italian might have been in there too. We are a country composed of people from all over the globe. You will probably find more langaues spoken in a major US city than in any other on Earth.

It is your own fault. Stop watching that silly scene in "Love Actually" where "Tony Blair" tells off "George Bush." Stop dreaming about it and make it happen. Electing Blair again was not inspiring.

Reply to
Mr. Manfredjensen

This originated on account of the fact that GM seems not to have noticed that the name Saab means it's *Swedish* ( Svenska ) and they don't care if Saabs are made there any more. Nor I suspect do they care if they contain any longer that unique and defining engineering quirkiness that makes them so special and appealing.

Is that politics, ignorance or just plain multinational corporation don't care ?

You decide.

I would welcome your comment.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

There was a widely held view here that although only a minority of the British population supported the latest Iraq war - we ought to support 'our boys' once they were in battle since they weren't in a position to say 'no thanks, we'd rather be out of here ' !

That didn't mean we supported the means and ends.

Having said that - the reporting from the 'front' was highly managed by the military. You work with the best you have I guess. There were independents out there too. At least one Brit independent reporter lost his life ( somewhat controversially - it was suggested he was shot up by US troops ) in a fire fight.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Sorry. I forgot to mention that Saabs also have features that make them ' the bees knees '.

Simply try one - a used 9000 is a cheap car in the Uk. What a great drive too !

Fun for low pounds. DO IT ! You'll never regret it !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear