grey metallic (silver)

I have two remote TV controls, one is black, the other is silver (plastic). I spend more time looking for the silver one than the black. The silver remote easily hides among odds and ends and gets unnoticed.

(2) I saw a police TV programme; a lady in a red car drove out of a junction and collided with a silver car. The lady said "I didn't see the car".

Hence my question: Is grey metallic (silver) a bad colour for your car?

Reply to
Johannes

On a damp road in half light (moornings or evenings) it can be near invisible. As my missus found out in her corsa after an idiot jumped a red claiming she wasn't there when he crossed the line, but he only hit her rear quarter. Silver Corsa, just daylight, streetlights still on, damp road.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Depends on the shade of grey. If it's a dark silver then yes it can be near invisible.

I was doing a right turn ( UK ) once at a crossroads and didn't notice the dark metallic grey Ford Granada coming the other way until I had entered the junction. I stopped but the other guy was going rather fast and didn't seem to be interested in avoiding me ( although there was room to pass without even stopping ). Embarassing.

I wouldn't want to buy a car that colour myself even though I do think that Platana is a rather nice colour.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Owned a silver Corolla GTS for many years. I averaged getting run off the road about 2 times a year, from people who obviously didn't see me. I live a bit east of Cleveland, Ohio USA, a couple miles off lake Erie. Weather in these parts familiar to those in Seattle or Glasgow. (Ok probably a bit cooler in the winter.) With a grey sky and a bit of haze that little silver car would disappear to many other drivers. Driving with the lights on all the time helped some. Finally had to get rid of that car, couldn't trust the kids to drive the thing. Car was a nice ride, but someone was going to clobber that thing sooner or later. I'd rather it wasn't someone I was closely related to.

dave

Reply to
dave

saw some stats a few years ago about accidents related to car colours

bright yellow was "best", and light blues / greens that fade into backgrounds in poor light were worst.

ironically most demo cars in the UK seem to be silver - because the dealers find that colour sells easiest (anecdote from a dealer, but he was selling me a silver 9-5 at the time).

Reply to
stephen

There was a bright orange Saab color in the '70s on the rally models, see

'sframeeng.htm One argument for this color was that is was easy to see, hence safer.

There's the Saab "Monte Carlo" yellow too..

MH