Happy Holidays from Saab

This "Message from Santa" was in the SaabUSA email newsletter I got today. Relates to the thread about folks who have too much snow to get their new Saab.

Laura K

wished they deliver it like that :)

"Laura K" a écrit dans le message de news: Xns9732220CF8B53LauraK@216.77.188.18...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

What's with this 'Holidays' PCness in place of Christmas ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Cute. That house looks just like my last one, white, dark gray shutters, right down to the red door. And up here in Northern New England the precip tends to look like that a lot too. ;-)

Happy Holidays fellow SAAB'ers!

Reply to
Malt_Hound

It is Christmas dammit. Christ Mass. I'm not even a Christian, but I respect other peoples faiths and beliefs enough to not want to homogenise or dilute them into one big happy shopping fest.

I was christened/baptised, but I'm not hypocritical enough to call myself a christian because I have never attended a normal services at church for song and prayer through choice. My beliefs are more those of the pagan old ways. Oh and my birthday is 25th Dec, so if you want, celebrate that. At least I'm here to appreciate it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Why, do you think all SAABers are Christians?

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Who cares? Merry Christmas, Happy Whatever, Joyous this other thing. Pick one or more, or not. Have a nice day. If you want to be offended by me saying "Merry Christmas" to you, I of course have no objections.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I am not offended in the least. Nor do I think everyone needs to say one thing or the other, unlike Mr. Bear.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

For the record, that was a general, vague "you", not a "You, Fred" you. But yeah. I'll celebrate what I want, you celebrate what you want, and don't burn down my christmas tree with your candles and we'll get along.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Who said it offended me ? Just puzzled with what's 'supposedly' wrong with the name that's been used for ages.

Although it might be more accurate to rename it the "Feast of Mammon" given what it's all about these days.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No, including this one ( a confirmed heathen - lol ).

What I don't get is this apparent US aversion to calling something by its traditional name.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You're doing that anti-American thing again. Just so you know. Plenty to criticize about your country, after all. This isn't the place.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm certainly not Christian, however I can't understand why wishing someone a merry Christmas, or any other religious holiday would be taken as offensive. Regardless of one's personal beliefs the greeting is a gesture of kindness and well being towards another person, anyone who's offended by that needs to pull the stick out of their posterior. Personally I'm sick of all the bickering, changing the name of something doesn't change what it is.

Reply to
James Sweet

Why is it 'anti-American' ? Just because no other countries seem to do it ? Perhaps you can explain why the phenomenon is unique to the USA ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Amen to that. If I had one - it would be a *Christmas Tree* !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Perhaps you can

See what I mean?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Perhaps you can

Hate to say it Dave, I'm critical of the US government, not the people, while other are a little too blanket Anti-US.

But in this case Pooh is right. It does seem to be that only the country and people of the US seem to be the ones removing the traditional religious name from a festival incase it offends others of different or no faiths. I've just gotten back from Morocco, a Muslim country, where Christ was just a prophet, and not even a major one at that, but they were putting up the Merry Christmas banners, and decorations and trees.

I don't know if it is sterile corporatism, or PC stupidity, but it does seem to have rubbed off on American people, so that they seem to be more offended calling a Christian festival by it's christian title than if it was wasn't. Fair enough call it by the old pagan name/native/whatever name, almost all old religions had a festival at this time of year. Just don't for the love of god (which ever you worship) just lump it all together for "happy holiday". That is so boring, crap, cheesy, lifeless, souless, stomach churning and downright insulting.

just remember, followers of the old ways will openly respect the faiths of others. It is only those modern faiths that want supremecy at all costs.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

OK, fair enough, but:

Emphasis on "seem to be", Carl. You see it from what your press, or whomever, shows you. I see it from living here. It's always, let's say "amusing", to have people in a different country tell you how things are where you are, especially when they're getting a distorted view of it.

Same here.

And not all that prevalent, at least not among real people. Keep in mind that most of us don't agree with how USA'n TV presents things either. There's a reason we keep those people on the extreme edges of the land mass... If someone wants to be offended by me wishing them a Merry Christmas, I don't have a problem with that.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Don't be so sure. I have an acquaintance from Sweden who was just complaining about "Happy Holidays" signs cropping up this year in place of the "Merry Christmas" ones that he's used to.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Hmmm, it is getting worse then. I think it is time to start a non-denominational, inter-faith, "bring back Christmas" campaign.

If people of all or no faiths, showed they were happy that normal everyday moderate christian believers should have their festival by the name they chose for it, it might go a little bit toward world peace, and the Christian element would get to see they are in less danger from normal "non-believing heathens" than they are for the extremists in their own midsts.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2