Head gasket in 900SE V6

Hi,

I checked out a Saab 900SE for possible purchase today. Apparently it failed its emissions test and a blown HG has been diagnosed as the problem. It is a '95 with 54k "original" miles. Overall it is in good shape and the motor runs smoothly - consistent with the mileage. Asking price is $3500, as is. Current owner says he cannot afford to get the work done, which he says he has priced at $1000-1500

Thought I would take the advice form the group on this one. I have been a Saab owner previously so I know they can cost plenty. Does this seem like a reasonable buy. I am willing to take some risk. Also, is this a job that a person with reasonable mechanical aptitude and a service manual - I have done this type of work before, but on "classic cars", i.e. no elaborate engine management equipment. There are some questions that bug me, such as why would a car with 54k blow a head gasket? Overheating? If so, would that mean more serious head damage than just the gasket.

All opinions welcome!!!

Thanks.

Cheers, Brian.

Reply to
CasualBloke

The GM V6 engine in this car has earned the reputation as a engine to avoid. At this point you know you have to replace the blown head gasket. This engine needs the timing belt changed every 30K miles. I would replace the timing belt when you replace the head gasket. You would want to check and see if you need the head replaced as well. There is a reason the owner is selling the car. I have heard the figure of $1,200 to replace this timing belt, I hope I heard wrong. If you need the head replaced you could be spending more on repairs than the cost of the car - which would explain why the owner is selling the car.

Reply to
ma_twain

Are we talking US $ here? If so, I think it's overpriced. With a known, somewhat major engine problem, I'd probably offer about $2K. KBB shows private party value at $4055 in "fair" condition. For $3500, I'm sure you could find one with a less serious problem.

The 2.5 is a DOHC V6. If you plan to DIY, you will need about $300 worth of special tools just to set the timing belt. The '94 and '95 model years had serious problems with the timing belt tensioner assemblies. They would fail, resulting in valve damage - it is an interference engine. If any head work is to be done, I would replace the belt and tensioner.

We just spent about US$1500 at a Saab independent on a V6 and got the following: Timing belt Water pump Serpentine belt Cam seals Thermostat & housing

125K major service

Just the timing belt and tensioner kit sells for about $300. The whole front of the engine has to come off to get to it.

Reply to
gw

Thanks guys. I am going to walk away from this one.

Cheers, Brian.

Reply to
CasualBloke

Good idea..I spotted a NG900 just yesterday for $3500 at a local used car dealer's lot for $3500 USD. It was after business hours so I don't know the story behind it, but I doubt it has a blown head gasket. And I'm sure they could be talked down from that price as well.

- tex

Reply to
Tex