headlights on engine dies

I have a 91 Saab 9000 . if the engine is could , and I turn on the headlights , the engine dies . but if it warms up for five minutes . it's OK. Has anybody had this problem or know of a possible solution. Thank you in advance

Reply to
dill

i can think of 2 possibilities:

your battery is weak and/or problems with the charg>I have a 91 Saab 9000 . if the engine is could , and I turn on the

C H Tay snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com

Reply to
C H Tay

This is probably right; on my 9000, anyhow, the dash indicator initially reads about 10 amps when I first start it up.

Reply to
Valjean

This doesn't sound like an electrical problem to me...

If the added alternator load from the headlights is enough to stall the engine, then it must be on the verge of stalling anyway, so I'd tend to look at the engine first for this problem. Either the warmup idle speed is too low, the engine is mis-firing just after startup, or whatever "idle-up" system the 9000 uses isn't working properly.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp