Heated seat ? How much power do they use ?

I do love the heated seats in my 9000 but with few longer journeys at present to recharge the battery properly, I'm a little concerned about the battery charge level if I use them a lot.

Does anyone know how much current they draw ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I don't, but the draw would vary by which step you have the heater switch on. Both of the 9000's I had, had 3 selectable levels of heat.

I would also think that you could determine the current draw rather easily if you have an ammeter. Just unplug the heated seat fuse, hook up your ammeter in lieu of the fuse and then turn the seat heaters on to each of the 3 positions and record the current drawn.

Multiply by two if your passenger opts to have warm buns as well.

Reply to
Fred W

Don't worry, if the charge light does not come on it is OK.

I think there's a 5 A fuse in that circuit so it will not be more than that. I know aftermarket seat heaters are 45 W/seat, so, at 12 V that is 3,75 A.

Reply to
MH

Good point. I'll look for that fuse.

It's a more modest amount than I'd imagined. It's very effective.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

just dont use them, utterly pointless invention (when they work.....) just feels like you've pissed yourself...

Reply to
big dom

I guess you've never injured your back or you've not driven in *proper* cold, either?

They can be very handy...

Reply to
DervMan

Put your hand on a 45 W bulb and you will realise that that is a lot of heat...

I disagree, especially leather seats can feel very cold in the morning.

I would not know...

Reply to
MH

That's not what it feels like to me. I think they're fantastic.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The older I get, the more I appreciate that feeling.

Frank

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Frank Vuotto

If you live in a warm climate, or if you are naturally hot-blooded, maybe you don't need them.

But not all people are like you. I'm currently sitting in my 70degF office, wearing a sweater, and it's challenging to type because my hands and fingers are so cold. You can imagine what they're like when I'm driving in 10degF temps. Even the seat heaters can't warm my body enough to force heat out to my hands, but they're a HUGE help.

I've loved the seat heaters in my Saabs for over 20 years. Given the GM- ization of Saab I may not buy another Saab. If so, I'll have to find an aftermarket replacement for the seat heaters. It won't be as nice but it will be better than no heater at all.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

That's what I was thinking... he must live someplace where they think cold is 40 degrees F.

Reply to
still me