help me need cup holder !!!!!!!!!

does anyone know about getting a coffee cup holder for my 1989 900 turbo. thanks mark z. snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
Mark & Linda's

I'm never going to understand this American obsession with cup holders. Truly bizarre.

Reply to
Grunff

True. I did have a bad habit of drinking morning coffee in my Fiat on the way to work, the coffee sloshed all around the when breaking. I also sometimes shaved to save time. All this stopped when I got my 9000 CSE; it was no longer appropriate in such a nice car.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

It's a conveyance - not the food court at the local cineplex.. :) ..

However, I've seen one that slips into the ashtray pocket with a change tray on e-bay - but perhaps it was only for the 9000 - don't know if it will fit on the 900..

Reply to
Dexter J

Well, It's like this (sorta). My wife and I go on driving trips that occupy a whole day... that's 12 hours on the road, with about 10 hours or more of driving time. It's rather nice to be able to have a can of soda, or bottle of water where you can reach it conveniently. I do not relish the thought (if alone in the car) of playing "tag" with an open can of soda that is playing hard to get whilst the car is happily traveling at 70 mph...

It's just one of those convenience things, I'd say.

Somewhat like if you had a brolly holder on the inside, complete with a proper drain when wet.... Now there's an idea.....

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

That item fits into a standard DIN slot, but it has extra mounting hardware to secure it. It is a Ford (US) part that was used on the 1986 through 1995 Taurus models. The problem with this item is that if the cup is large, it will get in the way of the radio controls.

About your comment about "its a conveyance", I agree. I use my cup holder to safely store the overpriced drink I bought during lunch which was too large for me to finish. That, and the policy of US fast food restaurants giving free drink refills during your stay at the restaurant. Everyone I know refills their drink before they leave because the offer expires as soon as you walk out the door. The most secure way to transport it is in a cupholder.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T with the capacity to hold 2 cups.
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

I was really surprised of the cup size of 'regular' coffee you have over there. But we have now inherited the US style cardboard wrapper insulation to prevent any effect of the temperature on your hand when holding the cup...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
Mark & Linda's

You must have heard of the "cupholder rating" of a vehicle in the US. One of the first things advertised is the number of cupholders. Some makes are downright creative in getting the count up. In one van you fold the seat backs down and add the two cupholders on the back of each seat - no passengers can sit in the van , but you can hold another 10 cup!

The number of cupholders in my two 900s is zero! I keep my hands on the wheel/shifter and eyes on the road. The passengers can't drink in my SPG, especially on the turns:-)

Reply to
ma_twain

When I was hanging out in the Volvo group during my car decision days, they, too felt there was a lack of cupholders. Maybe it's a Swedish thing. The one recommended in that group was a drink holder that has hooks that fit into the grill for the A/C/Heat vent. I can't, of course, find a reference or link to it now. Wander through a large automotive store like Pep Boys and see what they've got.

Sharper Image has a mini-snack box with cupholders in front. It might fit over the console on a Saab, if you've got one of the low ones. Keeps stuff hot or cold.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Lol! It has started making it's way over here. The first time I realised that was a TV ad for an MPV (like a small minibus that moms use for the school run if they don't want/have a 4x4) which boasted 9 cup holders. I was gobsmacked.

Damn right!

Reply to
Grunff

Grill? What next? A mini bar and a barbecue.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

What about the two token ring mouldings on the inside of the glove box hatch?

Not holders for when on the move, but I'm sure they are for cups.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It's a lot of work but here goes. Ford in the mid 90s made a combo cup/coin holder that fits in a DIN slot. If you have a two piece radio replace it with a one piece and pit the cupholder in the dash, not console slot and the radio in the console. My radio had problems so it wasn't a problem to replace it with a single DIN radio. There are also cup holders that attach to the door panel. Good luck, Phil Brown

Reply to
Phil Brown

I am not sure if these were for cups. I don't think the Swedish engineers would design a cup holder that could serve as a guillotine in the event of an accident. That top edge of the open glove box hatch would surely do a number on the front passenger in a frontal crash. Remember - seat belts stretch . . . If these are cup holders - they were for use only when parked. I should dig through the Owner's Manual.

Reply to
ma_twain

Like I said, not for on the move. Good point should have looked in mine too :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Reply to
ma_twain

In article , ma snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Hmm, wonder what else they could be for then? Can't just be casting marks surely.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Gotta say, I always assumed it was a cup holder. I think this is reinforced by the fact that there are two rings. They're just the right size for "thermos flask cap" cups.

Reply to
Grunff

I always thought the same, of that kind of thing. A plain flat tray theoretically would be enough. However, depressions help to catch liquids spilled from cups standing in them, for mopping up before they flow away into your car's nice pristine interior. (I suppose your car _does_ have a NPI, hmm?) Depressions could also reinforce a flat surface.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson