How can I retrieve service codes on 900S?

Hi, my check engine light came on my 1996 Saab 900 with 79,000 miles on it. Can I retrieve the service codes myself manipulating the ignition key like you can do on GM cars? Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Pete Jenkins

I don't know about that, but Checker AutoParts has a sign that they'll read the codes for you for free (on the assumption that you'll need to buy parts based on what it says, I suppose). Do you have those in your part of Ohio?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, we don't. I thought I saw somewhere in the newsgroups a tip on how to read these things but I didn't take it it seriously assuming that my car will run trouble-less forever :)

Reply to
Pete Jenkins

How about "Auto Zone" stores ? The do it too.

Before you panic though, tighten the gas cap and drive for a couple days to see if it goes out.

If it's not running rough, the _odds_ are that it does not have a "about to fail" issue. If it's a non turbo (I assume it is if you are in the USA with a 900S) then I'd be relatively comfortable driving for a few days with the light on.

Reply to
Retro Bob

Yup, auto zone they will read the codes for ya

good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK