How fast does a turbo spin

Just for interest, how fast does a turbo spin? Is there a difference between models? Presumably a FPT spins faster than a LPT?

Reply to
Al

They can spin really fast, 60K RPM and more. I could be wrong but I think they all spin at these kind of RPMs. I think the charging pressure is related to the compressor design itself - the size and efficiencies of the turbine and compressor and the size of the air intake system etc

Reply to
ShazWozza

Yikes! 180k for a low inertia turbo. Aren't Saab's utilizing low inertia turbos?

Reply to
WitchDr

According to the mechanic at the local Saab dealer, the classic 900 turbo spins at 20k RPM or so.

Reply to
Jeremy Brown