I'm Seeling My '02 Viggen some questions

Hi all,

The wife and I decided to sell the '02 Viggen we leased back in July '02.

I've got some questions about where is the best place to advertise this, and what you think a fair price would be?

It's in like new condition with some minor scrapes on the Chin spoiler (what Viggen does not have that) and some minor road rash on the wheels. Other than that it is clean. Has only 24k on the clock. Runs and looks like new. I'm placing it on Saabnet, Autotrader, Where else should it go?

Thanks

Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

Are you planning to sell it for the buyout number, or ????

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hi Dave,

We are hoping to sell it for somewhere between the buyout amount and the retail amount.

In checking Kelly Bluebook and other sites it seems that the retail for this is around 23k. We are not asking that much. If you are serious about buying it, e-mail me at ca9000cse at sbcglobal dot net.

Craig

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

I've had good luck with cars.com, both buying and selling.

Reply to
roscoeboy

Craig,

There are a few things that you apparently don't understand about buying and selling used cars.

First and foremost, you (as a private party) will never get anything close to average retail value. That is what a dealership would ask (and later discount to make the sale) becvause they have additional overhead in the form of preparing the car for sale and then the implied warranty that must be extended by law.

Next, ignore values found at kbb.com. They are a shill for dealerships to make more money. The trade-in values are too low and their retail values are too high. Instead, use NADA.com as these are the people that publish "the books" used by dealers.

Private parties generally get something above the wholesale (aka "trade-in") value but definitely less than retail. Referring to nada.com:

Assuming "normal" mileage (which would be 60k miles for a 4 year old car), NADA says that your car is worth $16,150 wholesale and $18,775 retail, so a reasonable private party sale price would be approximately $17,000. Adjust up or down based on mileage and additional options.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Fred W

Fred,

Thanks for the info. No, I've never sold a car previously. Based on the low miles and the theft recovery system etc.. NADA says 17,200 - 19,850.

Also I see cars advertised by private parties as certified, what does this mean and is it a good idea to get it certified? If so how does one do that?

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

Cool. Set your pricing accordingly...

The only one who can certify a car's the original manufacturer. It generally means the car has a very nice extended warranty package from the manufacturer. When a private party advertiser says their car is certified, that means it had been previously certified (by SAAB) when they bought it and that extended warranty is transferrable.

Reply to
Fred W

Craig,

What color interior/exterior? Where are you located?

-Dima

Craig M. Bobch> Fred,

Reply to
Dima

Hi Dima,

I'm in Orange County Ca. The car is Silver/charcoal. Pictures are at

Craig M. Bobchin

FYI - trade-in is not the same as "wholesale" in the dealership business... not that the issue is important to a private sale.

Reply to
Bob