Idle in Drive

For the past six month or so my car has been idling fairly rough when it's in Drive or Reverse. In park and neutral it's a very normal vibration. When in park or neutral I can rev the engine from idle up to 4000 rpm and the whole way it goes like a champ, no misses or vibrations, but in drive or and other gear it's not happy. Any ideas?

1995 900S 2.3 Automatic thanks C
Reply to
PILOTOTS

I had a similar experience with a '92 9000 T 2.3 Automatic. It was very rough at idle when in gear but was fine if I slipped it into Neutral. I tried exchanging the transmission fluid (drained and filled 3 times) and that helped some, but not completely.

I eventually had to replace the timing chain (had gone slack by ~90k miles) and at the same time replaced the balance shaft chain and sprockets and the car smoothed out nicely afterward. Hope you have better luck...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.