Idle Problems

This started on a hot day a month or so ago, after I filled my tank and drove for about 20 minutes. It started having trouble idling, RPMs would drop below 1k, then shoot up closer to 2k. After a minute or so of this, my car stalled. It wouldn't start again for 5-10 minutes. When it did start again, it wouldn't idle at all and would die right away. I eventually got it moving (by giving it excessive gas), and every time the RPMs go low it would stall. After letting it sit for 10 minutes, and then letting it run for 5 minutes, the problem went away.

1-2 weeks later it started happening again, then went away. Now it's happening again, and the car starts, but won't idle for more than a few seconds. Also, while driving in low gears, the car would sometimes lurch on occasion. Also my check engine light just recently came on.

I have been given a few ideas as to what it is, but will wait to see what people think before I post them.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

(Car is a 96 SAAB 900 SE turbo)

Reply to
Kyle.Buser

Could be the DI, fuel pump or AMM... Take it to a dealer, they can hook up the Tech II and give you an error code + description.

Reply to
MH

I'm not saying this is the problem, but my 9000 did exactly the same thing - start most of the time; run for a while; lurch sometimes; check engine light, particularly at high speeds. A new fuel pump solved the problem. It could also be a clogged fuel filter or maybe the fuel pump relay (long shot). Its hard to tell just from a description of symptoms, but my guess is a fuel issue, not an ignition issue.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Seconded. It could be many things, most likely a poor electrical contact to a sensor, such as the mass flow meter. Or it could be a dirty/stuck air idler valve.

Reply to
johannes

Thanks all for the input so far. The check engine light went off. I attempted to start it the other day, and it kept dying. I gave it gas after starting it and revved at about 3k rpms for 30-60 seconds and took my foot off the gas, it didn't die this time. It was breathing hard for sure, the RPMs would jump just sitting there without me giving any gas, (bouncing between 750-1.1k). After a minute or two sitting like that it seemed to calm down and idled at 1k. I drove it around for a while, for the time being it is running ok...

My step-brother suggested that it might be the fuel filter or O2 sensor. I picked up a new fuel filter but haven't put it on yet. As for the O2 sensor, they're like $150 so I wanted to be sure I needed to replace it before dropping the $ on it.

Reply to
KBuser

If it happens before the engine warms up, it isn't the O2 sensor. Cold engines run in "open circuit" mode; the O2 sensor only comes into play after the engine has been running for awhile and the sensor has a chance to warm up. After warm-up, engines run in "closed circuit" mode and use the O2 sensor to adjust the fuel mixture.

Another possibility is the coolant temperature sensor for the engine control system (this is a different sensor than the one for the temp gage). The sensor is probably cheaper than the fuel filter. I suggest you change them both.

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Thanks so much! You probably just saved me $100 or more. Still haven't had a chance to replace the fuel filter (part is sitting in my car).

4 parts were found and I'm not sure what the differences are or which one you thought it might be. Would you mind looking at these real quick and telling me which one you thought it was?
?MfrCode=3DNIE&MfrPartNumber==3DTS85161&PartType=3D290&PTSet=3DA
?MfrCode=3DSMP&MfrPartNumber==3DTX125&PartType=3D290&PTSet=3DA Thanks again!
Reply to
KBuser

Don't screw around with people who don't know Saab parts... it's not worth the time. I would HIGHLY recommend these folks for parts:

Great prices, fast shipping, easy to use web site with detailed diagrams, correct parts shipped. If you order $35 ($39?) worth of stuff shipping will be free. I usually get some oil filters or coolant, etc... something I know I will need eventually to fill out an order and get free shipping.

Reply to
- Bob -

My guess is that the first two parts are the same item from different manufacturers. I am also guessing that this is the sensor for the fuel injection system. The temperature sensor for the gage (the "other" sensor that you don't need) is on the side of the engine near the large radiator hose.

Here is the one for my 1991 9000T (4cyl)

It is located on the back center of the engine, hidden under the intake manifold. I had to change mine mostly by feel. I forget, what year, model and engine do you have? Is it a 1997 9000? If so, I think this is the part
Parts America isn't bad, but I use them more for domestic cars. For Saab,
has more items, provides better parts/application information for a specific model, and generally offers the best prices. In case I glossed over it, if this part fails (or partially fails), the engine might not start when cold and won't run/idle properly until it is fully warmed up - if you can get it to run that long. It might run for awhile and then stall just after the temperature gage starts to move from "cold". I hope this helps.

Walt

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

You just need to have the mixture adjusted. Fuel quality varies during the year or you may have filled up with a poor quality of gasoline.

Reply to
darthpup