Ignition Switch Mystery...!

With the Help of the News Groups, I changed the ignition switch, due to an intermittent no start/lights; start/no shut off; run/stop ... problem! The new switch (used) produced an apparent fix.. all functioned as normal....

Then, the '96 9000 CS started and would not turn off.. The console lights dim, but the motor is still running.. with some wiggling, the shut off occurs... !

I expect an ignition problem... BUT don't know where to look!

Any help, would r e a l l y be appreciated.

Thanks, Art

Reply to
Art Carlson

Start with the MRFWU (Most Recently F***ed With Unit) which in this case would be the switch yiou installed used. Get a new one this time. They aren't all that expensive.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I started new but, the No inventory, 10 day delay sent me into used.. The following behavior now exists:

1) brake activated, motor will not turn off. Foot off Brake, shuts off. 2) the lights were on when switch was in left position, now the lights are off, and the running lights turn on when the brake is activated. 3) lights stay on in the "on" right position. 4) when the brake is activated, at any time , there is a connection ticking sound comming from the "glove box" area..

Is all this chaos coming from the ignition switch...? If so I'm off to sit on SAAB's door step! NEW switch..!

Thanks for taking the time to help out.. this is baffling!

Art

Reply to
Art Carlson

[...]

The effect of brakes on the running lights suggest a poor earth or chassis or connection somewhere. Once had this problem, but the dealer garage sorted it out.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
S Moe

This is a very LOW QUALITY switch..... Take the OLD switch apart & see the off-set ramps that operate the contacts... If you are gutsy, trim the tumbler cams to WORK.... THEN: replace theunit.....:-)

--=20 Greg using Agent 1.93/32.576 Opera 7.50 3778 & news.individual.net for sale: Apple//,Auto Parts/Equip/Manuals: =

GregChi

Thanks.. I did take Fred's advice and now have a NEW ingition switch.. easy to install the 2d time.. and now have the light/brake problem. I am going for new switches until the problem is solved.. I did check the grounding.. and can't find any opens or corrosion..

Thanks all for the help..!.. this tooo will pass!

Reply to
Art Carlson

Good Thought... I am looking... No opens yet.. maybe its the switches... I will change all, Headlight and brake.. also with an eye on the relays.. thanks..Art

Reply to
Art Carlson

It is not economically beneficial to just keep replacing switches. Besides, they are probably not the source. It is most certainly a ground. I do not have a schematic, but would start at the rear tail lights. I'd look through the archives at saabnet.com 9kbb and also on townsendimports.com to see if there is any pertinent information.

KeithG

Art Carls> Johannes H Andersen wrote in

message news:...

Reply to