in love with my saab

Yesterday I had to go for quite a long drive in my mum's VW Passat. This is the first car I've driven since buying my 9000 about 6 months ago. When she first bought the Passat, I used to think it was quite quick for a diesel. It's a TDI 110 estate... But, driving it yesterday it felt so staggeringly slow! Especially on the motorway... floor it at 70 and nothing happens! Floor mine at 70 and you're doing 90 before you know it! It made me realise that I am totally in love with my car. It does absolutely everything I want in a car, and very well too.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Seeya, Jules

Reply to
Jules

Hi Jules

Never liked diesels. Never have....never will. I have a NG900 2.0 (non-turbo) and it is one of the most responsive engines I have driven.

The Passat is a bit of barge when compared to the Saab. Can you not convert your Mum to a nice little Saab.

On a point of info. the 9000 is one of my favourite Saabs.

Happy Saabing.

Pete Brown

Reply to
Pete Brown

I am a Senior in high school who owns a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo. I too am in love with my car. On weekends, my car has this sort of gravitational pull on me. I end up sitting in my car and listening to my radio. I would consider my Saab as a satisfying cacoon. I am no the only one who feels this way...my friends who own Saabs (one owns a saab 9000...loves the car) feel the same way. My 205 horsepower engine is like nothing I have driven. I have driven a Volvo s70 AWD, Dode minivan, honda accord, honda civic, saturn, and volvo

850 glt. The only car that is similiar to my car in quickness was the volvo 850 glt. However it felt like i was driving a refrigerator around. I have a
Reply to
SPL

Too bad you didn't get a 2001 9-3 Viggen. *evil grin*

I got myself a 2000 9-5 Aero, after driving a 1991 Saturn SL2 for about 7 years. The Saturn was an awesome car, got me through high school and college. A very decent car to have in high school. So getting my 9-5 was a BIG jump. Double the HP. Better fuel efficiency (I still can't believe it), more space. It handles better than my dad's Jaguar XJ6. It's faster than my buddies' Audi A4 and S-Type 4.0 (much to his chagrin) and has a lower cost of ownership than either.

I've got a 1 hour commute to school M-Th down Hwy 101... Through the heart of Silicon Valley. The 9-5 makes the traffic easier to handle. And it's more comfortable than my mercedes C280 that inherited, which I rarely drive.

-ME

Reply to
Marc Escuro

It's funny, I was joking with her about how lame her passat was, but she did have me sort of stumped when she pointed out that she tends to get about 650 miles out of each tank of petrol, where I get about 250... 300 if I'm lucky...

But then again, I didn't buy this car for it's economy... more for the fact that even fully loaded with all my music gear, and with 4 people in the car, it can still overtake any car on the backroads in this country with no problem at all. Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it!

message

staggeringly

Reply to
Jules

she probably just has a bigger tank... =20

------------------------------------------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

MH

Hey there Marc.

Nice choice of 9-5, my friend.

The Viggen is something else!!!!!!!

Currently driving a black 1996 NG900 2.0 S and I am thinking about a 1999

9-5 Aero auto in Cosmic Blue that I can re-chip at a later date.

What colour is the car and trim?

What fuel consumption are you getting?

As far as I'm concerned (and there is no other way any self respecting Saab owner can put this) the Jags, the Audis and the Mercs are all barges. Enjoy the Saab. :))

Best Wishes

Pete Brown

message

Reply to
Pete Brown

Hi,new here.I've had mine for almost a year,It's been nothing but sheer bliss.

Reply to
K.E. Carlson

Welcome to the Board K E Carlson. I joined about a month ago and I have found the various contributions to be everything from helpful to frank/rude depending on your paranoia level. :)

Pete Brown

Reply to
Pete Brown

Sometimes both from the same folks, too ;)

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks,Pete.

Reply to
K.E. Carlson

I've got a 2000 9-5 Aero, Black w/ charcoal interior. Pedestal spoiler. Depending on how I drive, I average about 23-26mpg. On really long drive, I've gotten 33 mpg. Which surprises me, since it's supposed to be 18 city/26 hwy.

I luv it...

-ME

Reply to
Marc Escuro

What is the colour of your car and its trim?

What sort of fuel consumption are you getting?

I am thinking of changing to a 1999 9-5 Aero (pref. in Cosmic Blue with Leather).

Pete Brown

Reply to
Pete Brown

I get about 250 miles out of my '83 900 turbo... works out to around 19-20 MPG which ain't great.

I also do not find I get great performance out of this car (engine-wise, handling is excellent). It is an automatic 3-speed, hence very slow off the line, and unless I am in the sweet spot of the power curve and can force the transmission to downshift, acceleration is "adequate" at best. Looking at various posters raving about their 900's maybe mine needs some engine work, it's always been this way (since I got it in '95). Might have to check my boost pressure one of these days.

Is the manual transmission that much better on acceleration?

Dave

Reply to
David Spear

Hi there Brother Dave

I have driven both manual and auto cars (not just Saabs) and I find that not only are the manuals quicker, they are also less fuel intensive. Depending on your engine size an auto box could cost you between 2 and 5 mpg. Acceleration wise I find that auto boxes can take a couple of seconds off the 0 - 60mph time. This may vary depending on engine size, etc.....

Are you thinking of changing your car???????

Pete Brown

message

Reply to
Pete Brown

I knew manuals were better on fuel, would prefer one myself but my wife drives the car too. We got the automatic when we were living in downtown Vancouver dealing with stop'n'go rush hour traffic every day and have two little kids which requires a fair amount of turning around in your front seat (to hand them something, yell at them, clean up something they've dropped/spilled) so my wife was quite adament about an automatic.

By "changing your car" did you mean "replacing the car" or "replacing the transmission"? I've considered replacing the car but would have a tough time parting with it... I know the car inside and out and enjoy both working on it and driving it. I did have a chance to drive a friend's '01 9-3 manual transmission... holy sh#t what a difference!!! The car has got to weigh about 200kg less and generate 100 more hp! Tempting...

I would not consider swapping out the x-mission... I can already feel it that it would be one of those projects that would cost me half the value of the car and take a month before all was said and done. Maybe if I still have the car when I retire ;-)

dave

Reply to
David Spear

I would be looking at between 380 and 400 miles to a tank in my '85 C900 T16S. I do roughly 200 miles a week (some times a little more, sometimes less).

I tend not to break speed limits much, and never more than 85 on the Motorways, and tend to get my jollies more through rocketship through the gears accelerating.

I find that normally getting 26-28mpg, and weeks where I have lots of motorways I get 30-32mpg. Normally when I've been driving closer to 80 than 60mph. Which I found strange.

Also I tend to find I get marginally lower boost, but a lot better MPG if I use Premium (95 RON) instead of Super (97 RON), Ultimate (97RON in the UK), or Optimax (98 RON).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hi Dave

I meant replacing your car not the tranny.

I'm hoping to change (oops..replace :) ) my NG900 2.0 (non-turbo) manual to a 9-5 2.3 lpt auto.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Pete

(engine-wise,

in

Reply to
Pete Brown

Between a 9000 and a 9-3, in US specs there is about 100 lbs difference. 9-3 Hp varies from 185 to 230, from base to Viggen. A 9000 has 170 to

225 Hp, depend> I did have a chance to drive a friend's '01 9-3
Reply to
ma_twain

Ah, but I have a 900 turbo 8-valve, not a 9000! If only...

Reply to
David Spear