incorrcect reading on fuel gauge

Guys, I've got a problem. I have never gotten more than 12 us gallons into my '97 900SE Turbo. I know that this car should take 18 gallons but the fuel warning light comes on and it will only take 12 gal. When filled up the indicator shows only just above the 3/4 mark, and the fuel light comes on just above the reserve area. I seems to me after reading what I have writen above that I may have a high resistance condition somewhere in the gauge cucuit. My '88 Audi 90Q had a removeable bezel on the instrument cluster to adjust the fuel gauge. Is there anyting on my current car to acomplish this same funtion? Is the sender unit separate to the fuel pump, and are there different sender units that will physicaly fit my tank?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Reply to
Andy Thibodeau

Salutations:

I was reading somewhere recently that the entire dash may be programmable at the dealer using the correct scantool on later model 900's or early

9-3's.

Apparently - you can adjust the gage so that it reads when the fuel light comes on and a few other things. It may be that you have somehow blocked the overflow/vent line(s) - which might make the filler look full when in fact there is a 1/4 of a tank left - but I doubt it as the car still drives. If might be a resistance in the line throwing the sensor/computer off - but again - it seems unlikely as rationally - that should kick up a CEL warning.

I would spring for the 1/2 hour or so it will take to run a system scan and ask if they can adjust this for you while they are at it. I can't think exactly where I read it - perhaps saabnet.

Anyway, it may be just as simple as that - but - well worth doing in case it is something more serious. Don't release them to go at anything without seeing it yourself - if they are a good shop - they will be more than cool with that.

-

J Dexter - webmaster -

tunes - no cookies no subscripti> Guys,

Reply to