indicator not staying on

Hello folks my 900 T16 '87 with cruise con is failing its MOT (Major Overhaul Time) due to my indicator switch failing to stay switched on when indicating right.

I 've got the switch off and when I turn it so gravity isnt pulling the arm down again the switch stays on, however the wear in it means as soon as it is turned it pops the arm back to off.

Not too sure what is in the switch and to be honest I'm a little scared to open it up due to cruise control electrics and previous experiences tell me as soon as it opens thousands of little pieces fly out never to be reassembled.

Has anyone had this problem and is there a more sophisticated fix than a elastic band or the expensive replacement switch option?

Ta Derek

Reply to
derek huffadine

I have heard of people rebuilding the switch. This problem is common with control arms with cruise control. I never had one fail without cruise control. I don't know if the switch without cruise control is less expensive or if you can live without cruise control. Personally, when I have a turbo and a manual transmission, a system which automatically controls the speed is not an option :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

Reply to
derek huffadine

I had this same problem, there's a little detent inside the switch body that wears down. I took the switch out, drilled out the rivets, carefully popped it apart, then took the aluminum body and cleaned it out good. Then I used a Dremel tool with a carbide routing bit to file the detent deeper, greased it and then used some small self tapping sheetmetal screws to put it back together, works like a charm.

Reply to
James Sweet