Interesting fuel leak on C900 - check your fuel lines

One of our T16 C900s started smelling a bit petroly on a trip to the big city yesterday. Had a look today, and found a nice leak. I haven't come across this one before, so I thought it was worth alerting other C900 owners.

The fuel and fuel-return pipes merge from the bulkhead at the bottom on the (UK) passenger side. They then pass through part of the steel bodywork to which the wishbones are mounted, and back out into the engine bay. They pass through two holes in steel sheet, about 25mm diameter.

There should be either a grommet, or a rubber sleeve to protect the plastic fuel pipes. On this car, this protection wasn't present. Presumably it fell off/was removed at some point during the past 14 years.

As a result, the steel had rubbed a nice notch right through the fuel pipe. It was gently squirting out a stream of petrol.

So next time you're looking in that area, take a look at the two fuel pipes. Make sure they aren't damaged, and are protected from rubbing against the panels.

Reply to
Grunff

in article c0lrc2$19jl5n$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 14/02/2004 19:00:

Duly noted - thanks Grunff.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Well pointed out Grunff. My lines are aeroquip from pump to fuel rail and set in copious amounts of tiger seal where they pass throught metal, not pretty and adds a few grammes but definately won't fall out while trying to hit 1 lateral G ;-)

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Well worth checking out fuel pipes reguarly on any car, especially the plastic injecktor pipes on k-jet models.. In the early 80's a friend had a '76 EMS burst into flames coz of those pipes...

Reply to
chris

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Cheers. Good advice. Will check it out next time I'm down there (brakepads in a week or two).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The other thing to watch is the filler neck to which (at least on my late-1982 C900), the metal fuel filler cover hinge attaches to) has a tendency to crack and break up over time.

The one in my car is very broken and as a result fuel vapours get inside the boot (aka trunk for the US people reading this) and these move to the main interior of the car after driving off and the air circulates them. The donor car also has a cracked fuel filler neck.

I'm sure that once I replaced the filler neck with one which is not broken the problems with a buildup of fuel vapour in the boot after fuelling the car will go away or at least reduce to the point where it's no longer a concern.

Craig.

-- Craig Ian Dewick ( snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au).

APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP). Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick