intermittent power locks on 98 Saab 9000 CSE

My 1998 Saab 9000 CSE has intermittent power locks. From the key fab, they work about 50% of the time. When it decides not to work, it will not work until a later time. Maybe after I drive to the next destination or two or three. Then it will work flawlessly. Some times it will not work for 3 days straight and then no problems for 3 days. It has been driving me nuts. Many times it will work when I lock the car but then not when I unlock it. The switch inside the car also is intermittent as well. I will need to push it several times, sometimes more then 30 times and then it will all of the sudden work. Any ideas to try would be appreciated

Thanks,

Donald proud saab owner

Reply to
donald

Is this a wireless key fab?

Reply to
Johannes

I have put up with the same problem with my 98 CSE off and on for years. I am begining to think that it is just the nature of the beast. I have tried most of the things suggested on The Saab Network and each time it works flawlessly for awhile but then reverts back to not working about 25 percent of the time.

If one of the door locks (or gas filler door lock) is hard to activate by hand that will cause the problem. I have so far disassembled two doors and lubricated the mechanisms. I resoldered the circuit board in the central lock controller. That seemed to work for a couple of weeks. The next step, when I get the time and will, is to work on the switch in the driver's door. Supposenly that controls the others. I have also noticed that the failure rate is higher when the fob battery begins to weaken.

I will be interested if Johannes or other's have any new suggestions.

Reply to
R. Frist

If it's a wireless, then I've heard of cases where local radio frequency transmissions can interfere with the key fob. It may come from mobile telephone masts or possibly company communication systems. This could explain a pattern where it works for some days, but not other, in some locations but not other. Admittedly, this is a wild idea, but try to look out for such patterns.

Reply to
Johannes

Thanks for the tips, I replaced the batteries in my wireless key fab and it didn't seem to help. I will have to rebuild or replace the switch inside the car. I know that must be getting dirty or just plain faulty. I will do this when I too get the time and the will. :)

Donald

Reply to
donald