is it a turbo

but isn't that always going to be the case because there are other mods that can be done to make that lpt into an fpt anyway. :)

Mine boosts to 0.6 bar courtesy of 3 washers between the wastegate actuator and the mounting plate.

Not my doing either, that's how I inherited the car.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Well that's one way to invalidate your policy if it comes to crunch! Denying that there's a turbo when there ever so clearly is, doen't exactly take an insurance assessor to have more than a couple of brain cells.

I don't have any guages to tell me that there are "wheels" or "engine" in my car so I guess I don't have those either. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Well I certainly seemed to have opened a can of worm here... thanks for the replies so far...

from the VIN decoder at

got the following.... which seems to match what I thought I had... (and Idon't have a turbo guage on the dash, but theres a "turbo" under the bonnet near the grill)

Model year 1996

Model series CD/CS with driver's and passenger's airbag

Body style 4-door CD

Engine Turbo, B234E (2.3l light-pressure turbo)

Transmission 4-speed automatic

Built at Trollhattan line A

With a bit more googling I also found some other background info re ecopower / lpt at

according to it(authorative?) "Ecopower applies to Saab's full-boost turbos and Light Pressure Turbo (LPT) four-cylinder engines. The four Ecopower engines are the potent 185-hp

2.0L in the Saab 900 line, the award-winning 170-hp 2.3L LPT in the Saab

9000 CS, the 200-hp 2.3L in the Saab 9000 CSE and the impressive 225-hp

2.3L in the Saab 9000 Aero". So I think I must have the "the award-winning

170-hp 2.3L LPT in the Saab 9000 CS" even though mines a CD.

Re insurance ... not sure how authorative the Parkers site is at

it knows about my derivative 2.3 CD EcoPower 4d Autoand shows its as ins group 14 (is this accepted in insurance industry?)where as the one designated 2.3 CD Turbo 4d Auto is ins group 16... So Ipresume when ins companies ask "is it the turbo" they mean the one withTurbo in its name (ie full boost turbo, not LPT)? I think I'll just keep saying "2.3 CD EcoPower 4d Auto" when asking for a quote and insisting they match it (perhaps point them to parkers?)

This thread has certainly helped clear things up for me ... its a pity that not all the insurance companies and most generic parts suppliers don't seem to recognise all the varients.

Andrew

Andrew wrote:

Reply to
Andrew

in article cah9ev$fn4$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com, Andrew at snipped-for-privacy@spamnothere.com wrote on 13/06/2004 11:14:

There's no arguing with the VIN - that's the model you want to insure. The full specifications for the 9000 (albeit 1995 model) can be found here:

Oddly, this chart shows only the CDE model to be the 2.3 (170 BHP LPT) ... Take a look at what the CDE has and what yours doesn't?

Googling for "1996 SAAB 9000 CD 2.3" does glean some results though ...

Nice ride, all the same.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I don't see why that's the case at all, I have a "2.0 CDS Turbo" and it's a light pressure turbo.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

My insurance company just asks me for the VIN on it and whether I've installed modificiations. The VIN, particularly on Saabs, tells them all they need to know. I went from a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII to a 1995 Saab 9000CS. My insurance rate dropped $120 a year thanks to Saab's great record for safety and because nobody steals them.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

"Paul Halliday" skrev i en meddelelse news:BCF1446B.FA42% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk...

Nope:

9000 CC (+CD) 1985 - 1988 = 2,0 HPT 175 Bhp 9000 CC/CS (+CD) 1889 - 1998 = 2,0 LPT 150 Bhp. 2,3 LPT 170 Bhp 2,3 HPT 200 Bhp
  • the different N/A-engines.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

"KeithG" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com...

Nope, it's dependant on which market you're looking at.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com, LauraK at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam wrote on 13/06/2004 19:07:

I wish UK insurers would take SAAB's anti-theft record into consideration! .. "Duh, Where's the ignition?"

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

They are going to screw you anyway! They did me. Best to pay as little as possible ion ins with full coverage and assume that you will be screwed on replacement. It is a numbers game and there are just not enough of these to get a good picture of resale value... The problem is that this is not an either/or situation like the INS agencies want to believe. All of these have turbos, at least in the US. The 'Turbo' or high performance model (which is a higher trim level as well) is a CSE and the ultimate performance model (and top trim level as well) is an Aero. There is a jump in (replacement) price to go from a CS to a CSE to an Aero. It is best to figure out how the INS wants to characterize it. If there is a grey area, you will need to document what you have or ask your agent if you can pay the premium for a CSE and only have a CS.

$0.02

Keith

David Taylor wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

I know, I rate insurers lower than pond life.

However, just to throw everything askew, I insured my newer 9000 Aero cheaper than my 2.0 CD lpt, both with the same insurer!

The call centre operator couldn't explain it either. The *only* difference was that the Aero would be in the garage overnight but that still didn't account for the amount of difference.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The newer 9000 may have a better safety rating or better crash test results. Or it may have crash tests results where the earlier car didn't which allows the insurance company to make a better judgement of potential for loss.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

The point has been made by others, but if your insurance company doesn't know enough about Saabs to know that all models in the US in that year are Turbo, you want to go with a different insurance company. Shop around, you'll probably save money in the process, even by sticking with the "big names".

I had an insurance company who wanted to put aftermarket glass in my c900 when the windshield got broken, "because Saab parts are so expensive". I pointed out that I'd been paying a high premium all these years, "because Saab parts are so expensive", and that I wouldn't acccept substandard glass. Then I mentioned the state of Wisconsin law saying that I didn't have to accept aftermarket crap, and they saw my point (but lost me as a customer due to the tactic). There's a possibility that if they are playing _this_ game with you as far as models, they may be equally clueless when it comes to replacement parts. American Family isn't annoying far as I've seen, for what that's worth.

Naah, if they don't have your model in their book, the claims adjuster will use that as an excuse to not pay out at all because you gave them an "easy out". That's their job, to reduce costs to their employer. Find a company with a clue about your car.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well maybe but basically what happened was that I had one 9000 insured and an Aero with no insurance. I wanted to put them both on the road and the insurer offered an NCD match on car number 2.

If I went through both cars individually, the lpt came out slightly cheaper but when done as an NCD match came out slightly higher so they must have a loading on car number 2 even though they match NCD.

Either way, to insure an Aero and a second 9000 for around 500 quid wasn't bad I didn't think.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

If you're in north america then it's certainly injected. As for the turbo, look under the hood, it's pretty hard to miss the turbocharger hanging off the exhaust manifold, it's a spool shaped thing with some hoses going to it.

Reply to
James Sweet