It's not all over

Short-term stability assured. Phew!

Reply to
Charlie

What can I say! If they survive, Saab will be one tough company...

Reply to
PeterD

And I have been told by Saab UK that volume (well, for Saab values of the word 'volume') production of the 9-5 wagon will start 2 months after the factory resumes operations.

Reply to
Charlie

would you want one (new 9-5 I mean)? I had a courtesy one, unimpressed. Apart from being very long (is this a good thing) I could not find anything going for it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

I have met 2 very contented owners of the new saloon/sedan. I have an old 9-5 estate, which has given me excellent service for 10+ years and which I am nudging (without spending tooooo much) towards the day when the new SportWagon (bloody silly name, in my view) is introduced. Then I'll give it a try. Then I'll decide whether to buy, or whether to go German. I would simply like to have the choice, an informed choice, that's all.

Reply to
Charlie

The new 9-5 is reasonably German :-) quite a lot of it in fact.

Reply to
Charles

> > Short-term stability assured. Phew!

I bet it will be over for a few years, the only reason that Saab is still "alive" is that the Swedish State still donating a lot of money the whole time. Then they realise that it is impossible to save them and they stop donate our taxmoney it will be over.

Reply to
Dallassallad

GM still has the power to veto the sale to the Chinese investors. What leverage does Saab have to force GM not to exercise their veto power?

Reply to
ngu

Well, a veto is a veto is a veto. There's not much point in having the power of veto if someone else has any ability to 'force' you not to exercise it. There is nothing to be applied but moral pressure; the threat to Swedish jobs, for example. There may some scope for retaliatory action such as a boycott or punitive import tariffs on GM products, but that would risk being [well] vetoed by the EU competition rules.

That's why the permanent members of the UN Security Council each have a veto. The USA consistently uses its veto in support of the Israeli government, however egregious and 'illegal' its actions, despite howls of impotent outrage from the Arab countries.

Reply to
Charlie