Just my impressions

I had to let my 9-3 '06 Aero Sport combi (25,000 Km) for a checkup at the dealer and they gave me a 9-5 '06 2.3T, 2,400 Km, so pretty new.

Just my impressions but I just hate that car compare to mine. The inside layout is terrible, the motor seems to lack something and it's terribly noisy.

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

What don't you like about it ?

Noisy ?

What did they do wrong since the 9000 ?

Oh, they do make a bit of noise when you floor them for sure ! ;~)

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

One thing you have to remember about the 9-3 Aero vs. the 9-5, is the Aero has 2 more cylinders and 1 more turbo (I believe). This leads to more power with less noise. The 9-5 is also overdue for a makeover on the interior, and harkens back to the Classic 900/9000 interiors.

Reply to
Craig

Something wrong with a Classic 900 or a 9000 interior eh?

Pick a window, you're leaving!!!

;-))

Al

Reply to
Al

I said nothing of the sort. I LIKE the classic Interior of the

900/9000. But the current 9-5 interior does not share the same look as the 9-3ss. I know I currently have an '06 9-3 Aero, '94 9K CSE (upped to Stage 3 performance) and my boss just leased an '07 9-3 Aero.
Reply to
Craig

in article Jq_bh.6634$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net, Craig at CBobchin@My_Skinsbcglobal.net wrote on 01/12/2006 18:23:

... Like an old car in style and inspiration, but updated technology? So ... That's why I like the 9-5 :)

I do find it odd that the 9-3 and the 9-5 both got a facelift with the integrated bumper/grille, but then the 9-5 got yet another face :o Why? Very odd, IMO. I think SAAB need to offer both cars with power ranging from 150 BHP (forget a normally aspirated 120 BHP or whatever) through to 280/300 ish, or whatever the trendy number is at the time.

Also, there should be a new "Carlsson" edition, or perhaps an "Eklund" nowadays, running at, like 400 BHP; turbocharged V8. I think SAAB have dropped back into the marque class again very nicely - the 9-3SS and the Sportwagon are very nice cars indeed, compared to equivalent BMW or Audi, but they need to get into the super-marque category again. BMW have their M and Audi the RS. What about an ultra-plush flagship model, like VW's Phaeton? Perhaps SAAB could re-launch their Griffin class with something in the right league?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul,

Yep you got it. Old school style and inspiration. Volvo sells the 300hp S60R which is on my shortlist of possible replacements when my 9k eventually dies.

I'd love to see Saab put the 6cyl Aero engine into a 9-5 give it a few tweaks to boost the power to 300+ HP and sell that as an 9-5 Aero. Hell my '94 CSE is at 274HP right now with the Stage 3 mods I put into it a few months ago. But it feels downright brutish compared to the 9-3 Aero.

Hmm I wonder what performance mods are available for the 9-3 Aero ss?

Reply to
Craig

Interesting - in all the recent Saab reviews I've read the reiewers come down pretty hard on the cars for their interior noise level.

As with all matters Saab these days, it's hard to make a clear cut between those matters in which saabs have actually gotten worse, and those in which they simply have not gotten any better while their competition have.

In either case, you end up with a car that's way behind the competition in almost every significat way.

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

in article snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Eeyore at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 01/12/2006 15:40:

Funny ... that's exactly what I love about my car :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Ok, latest report. I got to drove it in good wheater, rain, icy rain and snow, all within a bit more 24 hours.

  1. Yes, it's really noisy on dry pavment. Ok, it's snow tires but I have them also on my 9-3 and believe me, it's day and night.
  2. Front dash is awkward to say the least. It's like going back to the future. Commands are all at the wron gplaces, hidden from the view of the driver, unfriendly. I.e. windows don't have automatic. So going in my office underground parking, at the gate, got me thinking what was going on with the window not lifting.
  3. Radio ? Awful, sounds terrible. I know european version of car radio are different from North american ones but to that point, unbeilivable. I thought I was in a cheap asian car.
  4. Motor ? Yes it's a turbo. But power comes a bit too late. On the V6 turbo, you get a really smooth power curve.
  5. Exterior look and feel ? Well, I never was too found of that front end and those notchy curves

When I got back in my car, I was really glad to get my car back. In retrospective, It's mid-90,s technology and it shows a lot.

Now, the only thing that would make me really really happy with my 9-3 is a all-drive system like the Audi. If it comes, that would me our 4th saab in a row.

"Greg Farris" a écrit dans le message de news: ekqa6t$17lb$ snipped-for-privacy@biggoron.nerim.net...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

This is a deliberate safety feature. After an accident where a child got killed in the window, though this was not a Saab.

Reply to
johannes

That the motor "lacks something" or that it's noisy?

Reply to
Greg Farris

Two cylinders?

Reply to
DervMan

in article ekrkoo$1qqh$ snipped-for-privacy@biggoron.nerim.net, Greg Farris at snipped-for-privacy@nasa.org wrote on 02/12/2006 10:32:

Well, to be fair, it's an 8V and conventional ignition. It still goes like the clappers, with a lot of noise, and I loves it! All that clever electronics in modern cars, producing the best of everything in every driving situation? Pah! Voodoo!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Oh, didn't know about that accident.

Anyway, on the 9-3 (and I guess all other cars) when the window stumble on any resistance going up, it goes back down immediatly

"johannes" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@siznospam-efitter.com...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

see my more complete answer at Greg's post

"Greg Farris" a écrit dans le message de news: ekrkoo$1qqh$ snipped-for-privacy@biggoron.nerim.net...

Reply to
Junkyard Engineer
260HP on the 2.3T and 250HP on the V6 2.8T.

The power curve is too set too high. The V6 is more uniform

"DervMan" a écrit dans le message de news:

45715a4b$0$2434$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...
Reply to
Junkyard Engineer

It's only "too high" if you are, for some reason, unable to change gear.

Reply to
DervMan

I prefer to know when the window goes up or down. Worst situation is when the window refuses to close. It once happened to me when parked for a job interview, and was short of time...

Reply to
johannes

Since when did a new Saab have a twin cylinder engine. All they have=20 ever needed was 4 and a turbo to go quick. Although 3 and a bottle of 2=20 stroke oil came close.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Muse-Map of the Problematiqu=E9

Reply to
Elder