loss of oil pressure

help,i have a saab 9 5 which the engine seized up on,remved the enging and reconed it,i didnt bother changing the oil pump as all the checks wher ok.i refited the engine and it stared first turn,(a bit rattely due to tappits)after about ten minuits the oil pressure warning light flikers and comes on(rollocks)i changed the pressure release valve and oil switch but still happening when up to opperating temp,help

Reply to
babybobscanlon

Quick question - how did you get the engine out? I'm hoping to do mine this weekend.

Easy things first - is there enough oil in there now that the pump has filled all the various non-engine bits?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You don't mention what parts were reconditioned. Presumably the seizure was pistons/rings, in which case there is less chance (but still a possibility) that debris got into your oil. Considering the amount of work you've had to do, I reckon I'd have changed the oil pump just to be on the safe side. If debris *did* get into the oil, chances are some made it into the pump. Assuming all other recon work wad OK, what oil were/are you using?

Reply to
pidgeonpost

bloody hard work dave thats how,i took out the engine and box in one unit, down underneath by removing the sub frame.once engin out i done a compleat strip down and found the big ends basicly welded together.i had crank and con rods reground,as it was striped i decidid to do a full recon and fitted new rings valve seals etc,etc.checked with saab and used full synthetic oil im at a loss it MUST be oil pump, but fine on inspection and well within tollerance

Reply to
babybobscanlon

I'm planning on lowering the subframe with the car held up on cribbing, using a pallet jack for lowering the car:

How's that look? Not high enough, I'm thinking, to get the whole thing out?

Wow. That must be a really bad feeling. I blew up an engine in a 99 once based on being fed bad information (grrrr...) and it really sucks. I really, really, really hope that this isn't one of those situations for you.

Any comments from you or others on my cribbing and engine lowering mechanism?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

nice log arrangment pics on your link dave,all you need now is a box off matches a few spuds a couple of tinnies and watch that mother burn.as for lifting a car to drop the engine ive never tried it ,but good luck anyway,do remember to send a link to your hospital pics..lol

Reply to
babybobscanlon

So how did you lower the engine out then? As far as the cribbing goes, they use that arrangement for moving buildings up & down, and we use it in fire & rescue for vehicles. It's stable. But, I'm sure that if it were to fall on me, there wouldn't be any "hospital" involved...

Reply to
Dave Hinz