Lost key/remote

Well, my mom lost one of her key/remotes for her 1999 9-5, the dealer wants $360 to replace the key, seems a little high, do I have any other options or places to get the key?

Reply to
atom

If that was the last one, then yeah, it gets pricy. Thank your neighborhood car thief for that. If she still has a working key for the car it's much easier and cheaper.

It came with two - it's worth finding the extra at this point.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You can often find them on ebay for considerably less.

BTW, you can use the 2000+ key with remote in it on your 99 9-5 (I did with mine). There are often complete remote/key combos on ebay in "uncut" status that you can take to the dealer and get cut and programmed.

For example:

The other post that if this was your last key, you're in trouble. The entire computer has to be replaced as there is no way to get into it without a working key. My advice: if you still have one key, get to the dealer as soon as you can to get the second one.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Interesting. The guy wants about $70 for the key, but a dealer wants $360. Presumably the dealer will charge something to cut and program the key, but not $290.

But that assumes you still have a key left to copy, yes? If you've lost your last key, then they have to reprogram the lock circuits in the car, and that's probably what kicks it up to $360.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

When I bought one for my '99 9-5 I paid about that and the dealer cut and programmed it for about $50 or so. It was a hell of a deal.

They can cut the key with just the VIN, you don't need a second key.

What you do need the second key for is to get access to the on-board computer. It won't let you in unless you have a key that it will accept.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

My mom told me she just went ahead and ordered the key from the dealer, I guess they scared her into it sufficiently. That combo remote / key looks awesome though, I wish she would have waited. And yes the dealer does want $360 to order and program the key and we do have the other key, bunch of scam artists.

Reply to
atom