MOT day for 'money-pit'

It's MOT day for the Saab 9000 CS Aero Turbo. My wife calls this car 'the money-pit' but it's the best car I have ever driven. Hazard lights have packed up, ABS light comes on intermittently, washer bottle leaks, rear wiper stopped, ....what else will they find? First owner of this car was Sting - I've got the first log book - mind you that isn't going to keep the repair bill down. Anyone else know of any other celebrity Saab drivers?

Well, sitting at home trying to do some work, dreading the fatal phone call from the garage. Let's hope i'm not scouring the local paper later for the cheapest car with an MOT (I have a recurring drean of having to buy a Fiat Panda - which my wife thinks would be a nice sensible car...)

This annual event is not good for the nerves. How do you all cope...?

Regards,

Si

Reply to
Simon

Sounds like a bad case of neglect to me. Surely all these (very minor) things didn't break at once, right? You didn't wake up one morning to find that the hazards, ABS, washer bottle and rear wiper were misbehaving. So why did you not try to rectify each problem as it happened? This is part of car ownership - small maintenance jobs.

Imagine if you treated your house the same way. Every time a light bulb blew, a pipe started leaking or a window broke you just left it. Pretty soon it would be unliveable.

Reply to
Grunff

Well, the washer bottle leak started in the last week or so, the garage has had one go at fixing the ABS already but it didn't work, the rear wiper can stay broken - not so much neglect but postponing relatively unimportant niggles until the MOT. I'm more concerned about hidden problems I don't know about yet. And before you ask this car has been fully serviced correctly - it's just been a bad 12 months in its life.

Even with careful maintenance there is still the fear of the unknown and unexpected...

Si

Reply to
Simon

So how's it been a money pit? What problems have you had?

Reply to
Grunff

Not too romantic, is she?

Reply to
Zweef®

So... what was the damage??? Or are you drowning your sorrows??

It's MOT day for the Saab 9000 CS Aero Turbo. My wife calls this car 'the money-pit' but it's the best car I have ever driven.

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Damage was....... £420... mostly due to a exhaust pipe front piece. ABS light didn't come on during the test, phew! Also needed new headlight (whole unit), some suspension parts, hazard light relay, 3 hours labour, one or two other bits. Garage had some second hand parts to keep the cost down. Lengthy list of advisories means this may be my last year with the car.

Si

Reply to
Simon

Damage was....... £420... mostly due to a exhaust pipe front piece.. Lengthy list of advisories means this may be my last year with the car.

Cool - make the most of your last year and then get an even better one!

My last MOT in July (9000CS) was £570.. most of that was the exhaust too, and a couple of tyres. Thinking of trading-up to the 2.3 turbo / Aero next year.. if I can afford it.. would you say that's a good idea???

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I really enjoy my CS Aero Turbo - especially as it has leather interior, sport seats, alloys, sun roof, climate control, heated seats etc. I paid £1500 for it. I drive from Bristol to Southampton regularly for work and always get there and back in relaxed and good shape. Even does about 30mpg on the motorway. Looks good in black!

Si

Reply to
Simon

I really enjoy my CS Aero Turbo - especially as it has leather interior, sport seats, alloys, sun roof, climate control, heated seats etc. I paid £1500 for it. I drive from Bristol to Southampton regularly for work and always get there and back in relaxed and good shape. Even does about 30mpg on the motorway. Looks good in black!

Si

OK, I'm sold! Can't believe you only paid £1500 though... My "J" reg 2 litre non-turbo cost me £1,995 , though I still think it's worth every penny.. Think when I do get airborne (finally).. I'll need to spend about 3-4K plus on a pristine example.. (black) and keep it forever :)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Probably wise to spend a bit more on a good one. I've spent about £850 on mine since I go it.

Si

Reply to
Simon