muffler hanger (c900)

Hi,

I recently replaced my exhaust (from cat back) with OEM parts. I also replaced all 3 hangers (2 on the mid-muffler, one on the rear muffler) (this car is NA obviously). Annoyingly, the rear muffler is now too high to put any tension on the rear muffler hanger, and so the hanger keeps coming unhooked from the underside of the car. I think this might be due to the new mid-muffler hangers, which are of course not stretched out yet.

I'm concerned that the mid-muffler is effectively supporting the rear muffler, putting lots off stress on both parts. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John B

---8 the rear muffler hanger

---8 I'm concerned that the mid-muffler is effectively supporting the rear muffler,

Unhook the rear muffler from the hanger, push down on the end of the pipe to give it sufficient bend, so that when the rear muffler is rehung, all hangers will bear the weight equally.

HTH /Robert

Reply to
Robert

Thanks for the reply. I didn't do this before because I was afraid of breaking something, but since all parts are new (and therefore rust-free) I guess the chance of that is low.

John

Reply to
John B

John last year had new exhaust on 1992 900 just went out and checked and my rear bracket is undone, but holding fine. I did reconnect it but it looks like I might have had the same problem and did not know it. I have not had a problem with exhaust since it was installed so my front brackets have been holding on with no movement. I will install a piece of wire that cant be seen just to be sure Good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Hmm, all materials and welds have their limits ... think of the action you're taking as being more of a firm tug, rather than a yank.

If you're nervous about breaking a weld on the silencer, then consider carefully bending the metal hook (on the tailpipe) that goes through the rubber boss, so that it can't fall off.

Finally, you have to test by pushing the whole pipe around to make sure that it doesn't hit the chassis when going over bumps.

A bit tricky to diagnose without a pic; if you want, email one to me (remove the "x"-es from the address) and I may be forced to rethink ;-)

/Robert

Reply to
Robert