my Saab chirps when I shut if off!

1997 900 SE Talladega. I shut it off, pull out the key and then open the door. At that point, I get three double "chirps." "chirp-chirp, chirp-chirp, chirp-chirp." Everything is off. I do leave the headlight switch set so they're on when the ignition is on, but the ignition is already off. This started about the same time the display panel started lying about coolant level being low. It isn't. Level is right where it's supposed to be. Car isn't running hot. Needle is right in middle. Every so often the "coolant level low" light pops on. The car is trying to tell me something, but I don't know what! Anyone speak Saab? I did have it serviced recently after the check engine light came on. The oxygen sensor was replaced.
Reply to
Laura K

Did you not specify the *non-chirping * version ?

I gather that most US cars make binging bonging noises at you if misbehave acc to the car computer !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Do you have a Sony radio/CD with removable front panel?

Reply to
Grunff

Grunff wrote in news:42c0fb70$0$24452$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

YES! It's an x something or other, aftermarket radio that is made by Sony. The panel doesn't remove -- at least not that I can figure out -- but it does drop down to load a cassette. It looks like it should remove, but the car -- which I bought used in January -- didn't have the radio owners manual with it. The radio and cassette player are working fine.

Reply to
Laura K

Laura K wrote in news:Xns968328DEEE0EELauraK@216.77.188.18:

Actually, it's a CD player, not cassette. I think it also has XM.

Reply to
Laura K

The panel is indeed removable. The (very annoying) chirps are to remind you to remove the panel as you exit the car. I ignore mine.

If you do want to remove it, there are two main types. Either there is a small, black steel lever which you can push when the panel is flipped down, or the panel hinges are sprung, allowing you to push the panel sideways in order to release it.

Reply to
Grunff

Yeah, I have a couple of different Sony models with the hinged / removeable faceplates and they all do the chirpy-chirpy thing. They are actually pretty good radios (good FM sensitivity), which is the main reason I have bought so many of them (4 total).

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yes, we have several of them too, either CDs or CD/MP3s. They are pretty nice radios.

Reply to
Grunff

For your "Coolant Level Low" problem, the coolant recovery tank needs to be replaced. There is a sensor inside it that is sticking and lying to you. There is no way I know of to fix the float inside the tank.

Reply to
gw

Malt_Hound wrote in news:dYmdnbTD3NCMp1zfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Thank you all! It's good to know what it is. It is an excellent radio/CD player. It does do MP3s, too.

Reply to
Laura K

"gw" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Thank you. I'll check that out.

Reply to
Laura K

"Laura K" skrev i en meddelelse news:Xns96837D96DBADBLauraK@216.77.188.18...

Baaah, who uses CD's (with MP3) anymore? Today it's all about a SD-slot. ;o)))

Reply to
Henrik B.

The only knock I have against my MP3 player (CDX-MP40) is the display does not dim at night and it's too damn bright!!

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

At pennies per disc, I do...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Me too! Mine's a Pioneer model. When I'm driving at night and it's dark (which is actually rare, since I'm usually under bright city lights), I usually resort to flipping down the front panel.

John

Reply to
John B

Malt_Hound wrote in news:VbednVD7oPXuL1zfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I still play LPs. I've got about 300, might as well get the good of them. I can make tapes from the LPs but don't have an easy way to transfer them to CDs.

Reply to
Laura K

You didn't fancy buying a CD recorder ? Not cheap admittedly.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Personally, I'd find the chirpy noise transducer and silence it on a permanent basis !

Do car radio manufacturers do this just to annoy us - or was it Saab ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I have an 'aftermarket' Aiwa ( also made by Sony ) and the display in that has 1 dim level but it's still damn bright.

The old Philips unit I had in my Cavalier had an input that auto-dimmed the display when the light were on - and indeed also illuminated the controls at night too when it was off. Nice touch !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Funny that you mention that...

I've been thinking along those same lines. I have a few less vinyl discs than you (maybe 140-150), but some are classics and in pretty good shape with negligible pops and clicks. I've been trying to figure out how i'm going to rip those using a Windows laptop. I think that all I'll have to do is make a cable that converts twin RCA line level output from my stereo receiver to the mini-phono plug input on the laptop, then I should be able to use any kind of audio recorder program to create the .wav files.

From there it should be easy to record them onto CDs... and even convert them to MP3s for addition to my electronic music library.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound