New 9-5 Owner Here ...................

I have just become the proud owner of a 1998 9-5SE 2.3 The thing is, is that the previous owner didnt have the handbook, so i am asking where the best place to source one is, here in the UK. I see a 2000 model year on Ebay, but, how different in terms of changes made between the 2 years i know not. Do the main dealers stock them, for instance? Also, it only came with one key/blipper, but i guess they are horrendously expensive for what they are, so any clues as to (UK) cost would also be appreciated One more thing............. before i collected the car, i asked the seller to top it up with petrol, which he did..........with 97 octane !!!! As he was a foriegner and difficult to understand, i didnt ask him if it NEEDED the much higher priced fuel. Do i have to use it exclusively, or can i get away with one top-up of the super unleaded, followed by a top-up using "normal" unleaded?

TIA

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

asking where the

super unleaded,

The engine can run on regular unleaded no prob, the engine management system will adjust to any fuel. However, you get the best from the engine on super unleaded.

Reply to
johannes

asking where the

Can't help with the book.

expensive for

NEEDED the much

super unleaded,

You can if you want top it up with cheaper fuel. I found on my 9000 (2.0 litre engine but same as yours otherwise) I get better performance/mileage which matches or betters the additional expense for

97 RON fuel. If you drive the car more on motorways than city traffic you might get even better consumption using the more expensive fuel.

Google for oil sludge problems AND CHANGE THE OIL NOW and then at half the manufacturers intervals.

Cheers Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

am asking where the

find a dealer and ask.....

FWIW the dealers all seem to record service info online, so they may be able to fill in some blanks for you?

horrendously expensive for

seller to top it up

NEEDED the much

the super unleaded,

and use the Saab recommended types (although maybe you need the manual for that) - most of the sludge issues seem to be partly down to "just as good" oil...

Reply to
stephen

They have a part number on the back, so I assume they can be ordered. They often come up on eBay if you wait, I got one for a 2000 9-3 recently. Haynes do a workshop manual.

Again get one on eBay as soon as possible and get it programmed to the car by a dealer. They are always available.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Thanks for all the replies I am just wondering how much difference there might be between the 2000 model and the one i have gor......a 1998 one Thing is, i cant even change the date on the display or nothing, so i know i need SOMETHING in the way of a manual. Even if some of the things are different

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

Ask again with a clear and relevant subject line. Give your location ... maybe someone can photocopy their manual and post it to you.

Sorry can think of a better solution. Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

You can got to Saab web site and print your own owners manual. They are available as .pdf files

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.