"New" 9000 Turbo electrical problems

Thanks for advice received so far. From the digging I have done to now, it is looking as if this is an adventure, not a simple motorcar purchase. Oh, well. I notice already it is bigger than the 900 for people but smaller for cargo. Even with the seat down.

1) I posted before that when coming up a long hill (several mile long hill starting around 6,000 feet elevation) the engine quit while cruise control was on - twice.

Now it did it again. Once with CC on and once with CC off. Simply switching off the key and switching back on again (manual transmission, still in gear) fixes the problem. I can live with that, my wife probably can't. I don't think this is the DI cassette. Plugs look really new and are gapped right. I don't have the dielectric grease yet, though.

2) Also, when we bought this, the ACC would blow hot air unless you lowered the temp to "LO". I reset the thing by pressing and holding Auto and at the same time according to the owner's manual. That fixed it and it would actually work pretty well. Note that the outside temp sensor that sits under the front bumper is missing and that does show up as a fault. I am in the process of getting one.

Well, today driving around, all of a sudden, the thing blew hot air again. Not having the manual with me, I reverted to "LO" and got cold air back. After coming home and reading the manual I pressed and held Auto and ; it reset just fine and blew cold again on auto.

Manual says this happens if the ACC loses power, like if you disconnect the battery. But, this happened while I was driving.

So it seems that there are some electrical intermittents with this car.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Charles.

Reply to
Charles

1 English pound says that it`s the ignition switch........ Regards, Tom, Saabtech.
Reply to
saabtech

Perhaps the two problems are more related than you might imagine. I would suspect an intermittent ground problem of some kind. If you can get hold of the wiring diagrams you could determine if there are any ground points that the ignition and ACC ground wires have in common.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I like the common ground idea. The ignition switch was replaced recently according to repair records. Not sure what that means.

A friend of mine suggested the fuel pump.

Today neither of the problems surfaced.

Another thing I am noticing is that it is hard to start in the morning or after sitting. It needs to crank quite a while before it starts. The longer it sits the longer it needs to crank.

Maybe I will try just leaving the ignition on for a while and see if that helps. It seems the fuel pump should run for about 10 seconds after switching on the ignition, even if the car is not started.

Charles

Reply to
Charles