New car - drawn to the Dark Side

Ehhh...I'm pulling a powerplant in my 9-5 at the moment, and it's surprisingly not all that bad to get to stuff. Yet. Lots of quick- disconnect type things, made to streamline assembly, that make disassembly easier as well.

I'm actually getting comfortable under that hood. Not as comfortable as I am with the 93/95/96/97/99/900, but it's not anywhere near as bad as, say, my wife's minivan (Chrysler) Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You don't happen to know how I disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rail, do you? There's a grey rubber insert into the fittings that I can't figure out how to remove. My next option is to leave the fuel rail in the car and just disconnect it from the injectors, I think.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah, but that's the key - removing the whole engine/gearbox is relatively easy - it has to be, because that's how it goes in.

But simple in-situ replacements, like alternator, starter, clutch master etc. are a real pain IME.

Reply to
Grunff

Sorry, I don't - haven't touched the fuel system on a 9-5. On a 9000 it's mostly banjo fittings.

Reply to
Grunff

When I find out, I'll post the information on the page I'm building. Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave,

I think it's one of those deals that you need one of the special fuel line release tools for. I don't know for sure as I just pulled out the injectors.

MaltHound

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Do you have a picture of said tool? It might give me a clue. But yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll just pull the injectors & lay the whole thing aside, as you did.

So...what were you up to that you were removing an engine from a 9-5? Any hints to share? I've got what I've done so far here:

- and I plan to turn it intoa full how-to guide for whoever wants to use it. Any suggestions, hints,corrections, or "Hey dumbass, that sensor you call the 'on the end of thehead' is actually the intake boost sensor" type comments are more thanwelcome.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No. But I've seen various different tools of this type at the auto supply jobbers.

I worked on a 9000 not 9-5. I was just doing a head gasket and timing chains and wanted to yank the manifold whilst in there. Didn't pull the whole lump.

-MaltHound

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Update - I'm the happy new owner of a 1997 528i. I tried, honestly, I really tried! I drove a whole bunch of Saabs, including very recent 9^3s and 9^5s. The speed is there, but the overall package just didn't add up.

I'm still keeping my C900s, so don't give up on me...

Reply to
Grunff

Well, at least you did not buy an SUV...

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Wash your mouth out!!

Reply to
Grunff

Congrats. Nice car (and right choice IMO). Did you get a 5-speed or auto?

Hop on over to A.A.B. for some info on things to beware of. (there are a few...)

-Fred W SAAB and BMW owner

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Thanks, I've gotta say, I'm really pleased.

5sp - I've never liked driving autos.

I'm there already - posted a question about removing the climate control panel (two of the up/down buttons are broken).

Reply to
Grunff