New to Saabs: Many questions

We just (today) purchased a 2000 9-3 SE Hatchback, automatic. It has 91K on it but we only paid $4k (+/-cost). Its actually our 1st CAR (not truck or van) in years, and 1st Saab ever. It's in great shape, only a few minor things as expected from a used car (cosmetic, clicking in engine, worn buttons). This was not from a Saab dealer, so not certified, but I do know (and trust) the used car dealer--in as far as he wouldn't purposefully sell us a bad car. The down side is that it has no manual, thus the questions- (until I can buy a replacement manual).

1) It has an alarm system, I have no idea how to turn it off should it start beeping/flashing. The fob doesn't seem to work the alarm system. I'm paranoid as I've never had or needed an alarm. (Maine is 'generally' safe.)

2) What's the difference between "Sport", "Winter", and neither with the transmission?

3) How do you use the wipers on the lights?

4) Is it really 2x as much for maintenance/parts as "regular" cars?

4a) Does it need 'hi-test' or supreme gasoline?

5) What is the 'on/off' toggle between the window controls inbetween the seats?

6) How do I set the date on the dash?

7) How do I change the rest of the data on tha display (besides the time-I iured that out)?

8) What's D.T.E. in that display with MPH?

ENOUGH! --they said....

It's really a cool car. We have 4 kids (and a caravan to haul them around)-so I can commute with this, or she can take them to school-so shouldn't be more than 5 pple in the Saab anyway. She goes

6 miles r/t and I go 45 miles backroads r/t daily, so we're gonna test to see which is cheaper to run, and I get that. My expectation (hope!) is the the 2000 Saab does better than the 2005 Dodge Gr Caravan. (-Turbo baby!!)

Thanks in advance for any answers, advice, suggestions, input anyone has to offer.

CrsMis

Reply to
CrsMis

Let's see if someone could scan theirs and email it to you.

On sport mode, the tranny won't upshift until say 5,000 rpm, to give you a more sport-like acceleration. On winter mode, the car will start at

2nd gear, to prevent wheel spin on icy roads.

I don't know about 9-3 but on a 9000, they only work with the wash/wipe function. They can't be individually activated.

Some kind of child lock for the rear windows. If activated, the rear windows can only be controlled from the front panel. The child on the rear seat will find the window switch on the rear doors be deactivated.

Distance to Empty (tank). That's the estimated range with the fuel remaining.

Rest of your questions, I don't know, sorry.

Reply to
ngu

Most of the below you can simply try... :)

It's linked with the central / double locking. On the fob, one press locks, the second activates the deadlocks and sets the alarm. One push unlocks.

You can set the car up such that you have dual zone unlocking, i.e. one push unlocks the drivers door and the second push unlocks the other three doors.

This changes how the transmission behaves. In "Winter" mode it starts off in third gear to reduce wheelspin. As NGU has suggested, in "Sport" mode the transmission is far more aggressive.

The 9-3 uses an adaptive transmission with three or four shift programs, depending on the engine in question.

Wash the windscreen.

Yes, using main dealers. But there are ways to reduce the costs.

Depends on the donk. In UK specification the higher boost donks prefer higher octane fuel.

It activates or otherwise the rear door switches.

I believe you need to press both buttons down with the car switched off. But remind me and I'll dig out my manual.

Use the up and down buttons on the SID.

(Estimated) Distance To Empty.

Reply to
DervMan

Welcome to Saab ownership!

You can download the manual from Saab USA:

and go to electronic owner's manuals. There are two more GREAT Saab resources that you should be aware of:

    (online forum, you can find the answer to any Saab technical question there)

  1. The Turbo! mailing list
    (traditional mailing list - as much a social list as technical these days)

Just push unlock on the fob, or unlock the car with the key. The alarm is completely integrated into the central locking. One BIG word of warning - make SURE you always have a spare key! If you lose all your keys, or the TWICE computer in the car decides to take a dislike to your only key, you get to buy a new TWICE computer from Saab for a price you really don't want to know.... My Boss got bit by this one - $2000+ by the time all was said and done. If you only have one key ping me and I will post on how to get another without paying Saab $300.

I don't think we have the 'deadlock' feature another poster mentioned in the US.

Sport adjusts both how aggressively the transmission holds lower gears, and if the 9-3 is the same as the 9-5, it makes the electronic throttle more aggressive as well.

They will clean the lights if the headlights are on and you wash the windshield. In the winter, make sure you are vigilant about cleaning ice off the headlight wiper arms - the gears that run the arms are plastic and break easily. Once you have had a car with headlight wipers in a Maine winter you will never not have them again - it is such a safety boon that I find it amazing they are not required here.

You will love the heated seats too, if you have them.

Depends on your definition of a "regular car". Probably 2X as much as an old Ford Escort. Similar to other cars in its class.More than a RWD Volvo, less than a BMW. You are lucky to live here in Maine, lots of great independent shops that cater to the enormous local Saab population. The dealers are extremely expensive, and frankly not that interested in serviceing older cars. Not that a 2000 is quite older yet. If you are in the Portland area, I HIGHLY recommend Back Cove Automotive on Presumpsott St.. They are the only folks I trust to work on my cars besides myself.

In my experience, you will get sufficiently better fuel economy on premium to more than offset the slight added cost per gallon, but no, it isn't 'required'. At $3.00+ per gallon, it doesn't take much to offset the measly extra $.20.

Shuts off the window switches in the back doors.

Not sure on this one.

The two buttons under the display.

Distance to Empty.

Welcome to the family.

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine '92 Saab 900T Convertible Sundry other European things in the garage

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

I think most of your other questions have already been answered...

Start by setting the SID to "Temp" mode.

Then, if the SID has a "SET" button, hold it down until the year starts to flash. Then change the values using the up/down arrows and enter them with the "SET" button.

If it has no "SET" button, hold down the "CLEAR" and down arrow buttons together until the year starts to flash. Then change the values using the up/down arrows and enter them with the "CLEAR" button.

You can change the MPG reading using the right-hand pedal. Press harder for lower readings... oh, hang-on, I see what you mean...

Hold down the "CLEAR" or "CLR" button to clear down things like MPG and average speed. Hold down the "SET" button to start setting a speed warning. Other than that, I can't remember there being much to change.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp