NG 900SE vacumm sound at startup ?

When I start my car I hear what appears to be a vacuum (Hoover) sound in the engine compartment that lasts for about 4-5 mins then shuts itself off ...any idea what this is ? it doesn't matter what time of day or the temp outside is ...it doesn't really bug me ..its just rather loud and I noticed it a few months ago ....Thanks.

Reply to
Joe_Black

You need to get in there an track it down. Open the hood and start listening to find a general area. If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, buy a 3 feet of 3/8" plastic tubing, put one end in your ear, cover the other ear, and move it around the various components until you pin it down. Don't get it caught in something that moves!

I'd bet on a serpentine belt driven accessory myself (water pump, A/C, idler pulleys, PS pump) but it's just a guess. A quick check for that area its to put a 1/2" socket into the tensioner socket, release the tension on the serp belt, put a small driver or similar in the "holder" spot. Make sure the belt is relaxed but in position. Start the car. See if the noise is gone. Don't run the car for more than a minute or two like this and _only_ when it's cold. You will do serious damage if you run for too long. Again, just a couple of minutes at most!

If the noise goes away with the belt loose, you know it's a belt driven item. Start checking those. Be extra careful around that belt. It can grab your hose/stethescope easily.

Reply to
- Bob -

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:53:29 GMT, joe snipped-for-privacy@yyahoo.com suggested: : When I start my car I hear what appears to be a vacuum (Hoover) sound in the : engine compartment that lasts for about 4-5 mins then shuts itself off : ...any idea what this is ? it doesn't matter what time of day or the temp : outside is ...it doesn't really bug me ..its just rather loud and I noticed : it a few months ago ....Thanks.

That's probably the secondary air injection pump. They started using that on some of the NG 900s to get better emissions. It should be right in front of the front LH wheel well. You should be able to get to it by taking off the splash guard (maybe 7 or 8 bolts, IIRC). Has it always been loud or has it gotten loud recently? I had one die on me after it started getting noisy; it seized up and started putting so much load on the car that it would die. Had to pull the fuse for it until I got around to replacing it.

Reply to
andrewunix