Non Starting SAAB 9000 HELP

Help anyone ...my 9000CDE 1995 auto broke down - engine just died. Got towed back home. Diagnosis was that the DI cassette was faulty.£175 lighter I am still in the same position. The engine doesn't want to start. When turning the engine over there is now a (very loud) horrible squeal on each engine cycle and no attempt by the engine to backfire, start, ignite fuel or anything.Pretty lifeless. Removing the plugs and repeating the same..the squeal goes away, with the engine turning over quite freely. As best I can make out the squeal comes from the drivers side (British car RH drive) of the engine. I cannot drive the car so it is pretty difficult to take it to a SAAB dealers to get the engine diagnostics run.

Any ideas anyone....thanks in advance for any guidance.

Reply to
Steve

Lets start with the squeal, it sounds worrying. You say removing the plugs stops it. Put the plugs back in one by one, try to find out if the squeal is really coming from one of the cylinders.

Do you have a compression tester? It's just a pressure gauge with a hose and threaded connector that fits in the plug hole. If you don't have one, get one. They're about £15 from any motor factor or even Halfords. Do a compression test.

This isn't where I'd normally start in a no-start situation, but the squeal really bothers me.

Reply to
Grunff

Hi thanks for posting a reply so quick...yes I do have a compression tester. I should have thought to use it....I shall try and run it tomorrow and get some ideas about the state of the cyclinders under compression.

Reply to
Steve

Should also add that there appears to be alot of compression in the cylinders, not measured but noted.

Reply to
Steve

Try to trace the squeal - find out what makes it and when. Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Grunff

You know - it sounds for all the world like something on his serpentine belt is seized up. I wonder if one of the pumps or the alternator has failed or if the belt is somehow jammed up somewhere.

Worst case scenario would see a timing chain/cam/crank failure - but that would be kinda weird and would probably grind instead of squeal I think.

Reply to
Dexter J

Could well be - it's the description of a squeal that goes with engine revs that worried me a bit. But I still can't think what would squeal and cause no-start.

Yeah, could be. Lets hope not.

Reply to
Grunff

I concur - with the proviso that if something is seriously seized along the belt - it might cause enough drag to fail the start - particularly the alternator bearing (which is in addition to everything brother Grunff has advised)..

If it is.. No.. Never mind - right hand drive and I'd have to ship her overseas to transplant mine.. :( ..

Not to wish anyone any ill fate or anything - but why don't rust free mid

90's 9000's near me fail catastrophically under the hood such that they can reasonably acquired by earnest fans like myself so we can given them a loving home and care for them into their dotage.

Like grey hounds - only bigger.. :/ ..

Anyway - best of luck - sorry to hear your baby is unwell.

-

J Dexter - webmaster -

tunes - no cookies no subscription no weather no ads no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day Sam and Dave - Hold On I'm Coming

Dexter J

Have you considered relocating to the UK? Milder weather too.

Reply to
Grunff

Best beer - best tailors - best cheese - real and regular road racing - Isle of Mann, Ireland, Trollhattan and Scotland all within camper distance

- spare Rolls Royce engines around if I ever get down to really doing my GMC - you cats finally have decent connectivity - and apparently lots of sensibly priced SAAB's cluttering up the place.. How are the schools over there - you know - for the kids?

Brother Grunff - first real UK/Euro company with a serious offer and I am so out of here.. :) ..

-

J Dexter - webmaster -

tunes - no cookies no subscription no weather no ads no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day Louis Prima Keely Smith - Hey Boy Hey Girl

Dexter J

I think it's a pretty good place to live. There are downsides - possibly the biggest of which is a cripplingly expensive (and much abused) welfare system, and some of the highest taxes and property prices around. But I wouldn't leave.

There are good ones and bad ones. There are some very good ones if you're prepared to do some homework to find them.

Out of interest - what's your field?

Reply to
Grunff

Same as here - Canada isn't as hard on the property taxes I think - but do they ever take a slice off the top on GST (VAT I think to you) and income.

15% on everything from new houses to milk and bread.

Hefty additional provincial surcharges on several other products and services too. It's annoying - but better to keep folks fed and housed rather than roaming the streets picking off cars and banks to feed the kids..

Public System is in shambles here - private is better but not cheap

- and taxed as well..

See 'OT: Test Hamster Request..' below..

I'm a i-net Information Systems pro - marketing, support, programming (perl, flash, XSSI, DTHML) with a pretty deep publishing/software support back ground. Around here - like being a used car salesman or notary public

- but without big bux and respectability.. :/ ..

My wife's family is actually from England (as was my dad's second wife) - Rudge/Cowperthwaite respectively. This counts I gather. If you ever see anything, don't be shy - flag me through the site. All kidding aside the right gig in England/Europe would actually be really interesting.

Reply to
Dexter J

Gets very annoying when you see a bog chunk of your income just vanish every month...

I'd say the state school system here is very mixed - there are some truly excellent schools, and some bad ones too. The private schools (which we call Public schools just to confuse foreigners) are also a real mixed bag.

Tell me about it - I'm in the same industry (mainly data management solutions and data driven websites).

I'll be sure to buzz you when I see ineteresting opportunities.

Reply to
Grunff

Tried removing spark plugs as suggested today and the noise only appears when cylinder No.3 has a plug in it. So somethhing is definitely wrong with this cyclinder under compression. Thinking aloud here (if you can do that with a keyboard?) Possibly big end? Anyone any thoughts

Reply to
Steve

How odd. Have you done a compression test?

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, my course of action would now be compression test*.

Look for a difference on your #3 cylinder. If it's OK w.r.t the others, then suspect bearings. If it's not OK, then suspect rings, valves or head gasket.

Either way it sounds a bit nasty. I hope it's something cheap and simple but can't immediately think what that might be.

*: Compression test would normally be done warm, but you can't with an engine that won't start. So don't expect the book readings.

Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

Flag me anytime brother Grunff..

Back to topic..

That is not good brother Steve.. I wonder if your 'squeal' is actually an air leak through the plug - or much much worse - the head - or perhaps a really weird short in the DI unit.. Try moving the plug to another hole to confirm..

If the plug is non-operable it might read as a short at the DI and perhaps trigger the engine management system to kill off the engine before it lights.. Although why would be completely beyond me..

This is exactly why I am so interested in keeping my 89' engine in service as long as possible.. 2.0 litre - have to use the old management computer - but it limps on and on at considerable velocity with a leaky magnetic distributor and regular wires regardless.

If it's not plug related - then you are into a bug hunt starting with a head crack and working your way down the block from there.. Don't forget to check if something is in the chamber that is making your rings stick or shorting out the plug..

All kidding aside - sorry to hear you baby is being weird - it's a great model..

Reply to
Dexter J