Number on back of speedometer for Saab 99? (km/h)

I've got my fathers old Saab 99, the speedometer didn't work very well so we changed it. The "new" one came from a older Saab 99. Mine is a -84. The "new" speedometer had a number on the back like "0.62" or so, i can't remember and the car is'nt here so i can't check.

The old one had another number. However we changed some plastic cogwheels also. The result however became that it shows 10km/h to little. So i wonder if anyone knows what number it's supposed to be? Need to buy the speedometer before going to the car.

The car is a normal 99 from 84, it has 5 gears.

Thanks Mikael

Reply to
Mikael Johansson

The number is likely to refer to the final drive ratio I'll guess. Changing tyre sizes will affect speedo accuracy of course too.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

My understanding of that number is that it tells you the odometer gearing ratio. My Saab's had 'W 0,64' speedos originally. When I fitted a set of indiglo gauge faces earlier this year I had to replace the speedo because the stop pin was in the wrong place for the speedo face supplied (made for a 'W 1,008' speedo), and I was lucky enough to find a 'W 0,6175' speedo with the stop pin in the right place. The ratio difference is small from the original, but now the speedo reads slightly higher than actual speed by a tiny percentage.

I would assume that being in Sweden, you'd be using km's instead of miles for distance measuring and kmh instead of mph to measure non-vectored speed.

I don't know if Saab's transmissions used in 99's where any different from those used with 900's from the early years of production (my 900S was built in November 1982 and compliance plated here in Australia in February 1983!), but if they're the same transmissions in the later 99's and early 900's, the gearing ratio inside the transmission that drives the speedo cable should be the same.

Does anyone know if the VDO speedos do specify the exact odometer gearing ratio with the number in the 'W x,yyy' coding?

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site