Odd Headlight Behaviour

It was foggy yesterday and it has led to me discovering some odd headlight behaviour on my '89 900 T8. I turned the headlights on and then the fog lamps on using the switches to the right of the steering wheel on a RHD car. At the end of the journey, I turned the headlights off and (as I discovered later) left the fog lamp switch pushed in.

This morning, the car was a little hard to start and my stereo had lost its memory. "Odd", I thought. On my way to work, I noticed my headlights were flashing. Well, weird. With my headlights off, fog lamp switch pushed in and the rear window defroster on, my headlights flash. Once the fog light switch or the rear defroster switch is returned to off, the flashing stops. This must've been going on all night and partially drained my battery.

With my headlights on and fog lamps on, there is no issue. It's not a huge problem to me, since I'll just ensure the fog switch is definitely off. I would like to ask is, what's the problem here? What do I need to look at to fix it? I presume there's some kind of short or a duff relay somewhere. Any ideas?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul Halliday ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

BIZARRE!

Sounds like it could be an earthing problem, with the rear window earthing through the hazard warning light switch and flasher relay?

Reply to
Adrian