Oil Catch Tank

I'm looking for an oil catch tank solution for the crankcase ventilation system on my 1989 900 T8. I'm getting oil dripping down onto the fuel metering plate and into the airbox. I'd like to (a) stop it and (b) get a handle on how much oil ... I don't seem to need to top up at all really; maybe a "gloop" now and again.

My garage suggested a mega-cheap option of using a drink "flask" like for a mountain bike, venting it and running a pipe from the crankcase into the bottle. Block up the vac pipe and the return pipe that goes down to the pre-turbo plastic pipe and "job jobbed". Not to be-little the excellent advice and work my garage do, I'm looking for something a little more professional looking to run in-line with the existing system.

I've found this

at Quiller Triumph, which seems tobe about as much as I'd want to spend if I had to buy new. I've alsodiscovered that a very similar system exists on the Volvo 240 (B23F engine,to be precise) ... Now if I could find one in a scrap yard ... It occurred to me that maybe SAAB do exactly what I want, perhaps on the

9-5? Can anyone point me to any pictures of the full SAAB PCV system for the 9-3/9-5? Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions?

TIA,

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

----8

Reply to
Robert

I think nearly all of my 8v 99/900's carb or injection had some small amount of oil in the airbox.

suppose you could vent to atmosphere....

Reply to
chris

in article MYEXd.209$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net, chris at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 09/03/2005 15:52:

Yeah ... But I'm getting oil actually on the fuel metering plate and I'm not sure that's a "good thing" :(

I've actually just this minute tried a VTA test. I blocked up the vac line at the intake manifold and the end of the hose that comes from the top of the crankcase. I then stuffed a breather filter into the hole and .... It stalled ...

I adjusted the throttle stop screw and it seemed to idle okay. What happens then? Is that okay? Can anyone see any problems with that?

Ideally, I'd like to put a catch tank inline into the system. So, idiot questions:

  1. What does the vac line *actually* do? Yes, I know it sucks at idle and prevents boost entering the crankcase by using a one-way valve ... But what does it actually do?
  2. Do I need it? Can I just stump up the basic idle and have done with that part of the system? If so ... Do I need to do the catch tank installation, or is venting to atmosphere okay? I know there's a performance gain associated with doing that, but I have a road car not a track car!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Hey brother Paul - I'm afraid I don't have the answers to the particular questions. However I wanted to let you know that I had what I thought was a similar problem on an old 99 engine which turned out not to be vent oil at all - but simply condensing fuel varnish weeping down the manifold walls when it got damp enough.

While the system required an annual wipe and clean when I did the filter - my wrench at the time said I shouldn't be bugged too deeply by it.

Reply to
Dexter J