oil change

Managed to shred the head of the 13mm sump plug trying to get it off to change the oil - its still not off. Any suggestions on how to get it off (I'm thinking very big monkey wrench) and also could anyone describe the bolt so I have a replacement ready when (or if) I do get it off - its M13, how long? Will any matching bolt do? Any help much appreciated. Regards, Gwilym.

Reply to
GG

I've done the same thing, as have other people in this group. I got mine out using a "bolt-out" socket from Sears. It's basically a socket made of hardened steel with very sharp reverse threads in it. So when you put it over the damaged bolt head and turn it counter-clockwise, it bites deep into the metal and can turn the bolt. Also useful for rusted exhaust system bolts!

Irwin makes a similar tool, if you don't have Sears wherever you are.

And next time, you should use a 6-point socket on the bolt to avoid damaging the bolt head! Also make sure you don't tighten it past the specified torque.

I'd recommend getting a replacement drain plug from your local Saab dealer- they're cheap.

John

Reply to
John B

Saab uses a copper washer on their drain plug. Most auto parts stores carry a rubber sealing washer for automotive oil drain plugs. I've have been using a stock drain plug with a 1/2" rubber sealing washer with as a replacement for the copper washer.

If there is anyone out there that still uses 12 point sockets/wrenches, get rid of them. They are hard on fasteners and on knuckles.

BL

Reply to
BL

Why not? The dealer is sure to have them and they are cheap.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

Found them at my local German & Swedish, thanks. Still havent sourced a "bolt-out" socket any idea where I can get them in the uk? Gwilym.

Reply to
GG

Unless Sears has a presence in the UK, you might not be able to find their line of tools. However I did a bit of searching for you, and it looks like you could order the Irwin version from amazon.co.uk:

You might be able to find the thing at a local place if you look. The Irwin catalog number is 394001.

John

Reply to
John B

The Sears 12 point sockets are hard on fasteners and knuckles. I know this from personal experience and have the scars to prove it. Then I tried Snap-On flank drive sockets. These are 12 point and they grab on the flats, not the points. I use Snap-On flank drive sockets and wrenches now - and look, no more skinned knuckles! They also do not knock the chrome plate off the points on the lug bolts, so they lug bolts do not show rust.

Reply to
ma_twain